bridgewater to taunton canal path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark c

Über Member
Its a combination of compacted gravel and mud u can avoid the worst bits as minor rds run nearby.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It's awful. Hate going along there, especially if there's been any rain. And the you have very little room to navigate the bridges at both ends - I've seen one guy and his bike end up in the canal before now.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Take the lanes to North Newton, follow the canal for a short stretch, take the first right off the towpath back onto the lanes and aim for Bridgwater.

Or for a longer but prettier route, head out on the lanes to Creech St Michael > North Curry > Stoke St Gregory > Burrow Bridge > Bridgwater.

Peteaud

Veteran
Take the lanes to North Newton, follow the canal for a short stretch, take the first right off the towpath back onto the lanes and aim for Bridgwater.

Or for a longer but prettier route, head out on the lanes to Creech St Michael > North Curry > Stoke St Gregory > Burrow Bridge > Bridgwater.

Thats (longer route) a really good route, i do it quite often in the summer.

OP
OP
J

Jimbob312

Regular
thanks for the replies guys, was hoping for a few miles of quality canal path to get away from the roads for a while on our lejog, guess not…….
rode devizes to bristol on the tow path a while back, thats pretty good the whole way as a matter of interest.

I first cycled this path about 16 years ago and it was okay. Last year I decided to meander along it when returning from Devon and had to come off it was so bad in parts. Lack of maintenance one would assume.

Top Bottom