Bridleway bashing

Bridleways or trail centres

• Bridleways

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • Trail centres

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Went out for a lovely afternoon explore of the local bridleways around mid-Devon today. Rode out from the house and was out for around three hours.

IMG_E0332.JPG

Didn't cover any great distance but managed to link up the bridleways so 2/3 or so was off-road... though I was glad I wore my walking boots as I ended up walking a lot of the steeper slopes! Saw plenty of wildlife along the way too, the highlight being a massive family of long tailed tits while I enjoyed a thermos of tea.

IMG_E0337.JPG
IMG_E0339.JPG

Most of the riding was distinctly non-technical and some sections were a real slog in the tussocks and mud (although the full-susser was a bit overkill I was grateful for it over some of the fields). But it was great fun exploring a new area wth the OS map and riding (erm... and walking) through some beautiful countryside.

IMG_E0344.JPG
IMG_E0348.JPG

It's such a different beast from trail centre riding (which I also love, especially for a day out with friends). I find the riding a bit frustrating at times by comparison, but the scenery and sense of adventure more than make up for it.

IMG_E0341.JPG

What do most folks on here prefer riding, bridleways or trail centres?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I like both.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks like you had a fantastic ride? I like both, the trail centres are good up to a point but there is nothing more challenging than riding unknown tracks as you never know what naturally occurring obstacles you will encounter. Some of the most technical and cruel sections I have ever attempted to ride have been out in the real world, constructed by mother nature and the weather!

Elysian_Roads

Would vote for both too, @ChrisEyles. New to mountain biking, but it's nice to ride the few miles and back to Swinley Forest on bridleways where possible. Envious of some of your bridleways. Great pictures.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Looks like you had a fantastic ride? I like both, the trail centres are good up to a point but there is nothing more challenging than riding unknown tracks as you never know what naturally occurring obstacles you will encounter. Some of the most technical and cruel sections I have ever attempted to ride have been out in the real world, constructed by mother nature and the weather!

Yeah, it was awesome :biggrin:

I personally prefer riding trails I know, otherwise I tend to be a bit over-cautious in case there's something scary around the corner... mind you despite my best attempts I'll never be a technically gifted rider.

My all-time favourite section of trail is on Dartmoor from Princetown to Burrator (the "widow maker", though it doesn't really deserve the appellation), a lovely long but not overly steep descent full of chunky rocks and plenty of opportunities to get a bit of air. But it's always nice exploring new areas too.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Living in Cambridgeshire it's bridleways most of the time. The problem round here is the sticky, clingy clay soil. It really is bloody awful. Due to recent rain I chose to go out on my road bike today.

My local trail centre is Thetford Forest. It's ok, but it's a 40 minute drive for me. The plus about Thetford is that it's flint and sand, so it drains well.

I've yet to get to Chicksands and Fineshade.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@Dave 123 Fineshades is fun, with quite a few 'off-piste' trails if you know where to look ;) Make sure you ride the trails on the other side of the A43 from the cafe/shop as well. Much better riding, and less pedestrian traffic, especially at weekends.
Chicksands has proper downhill raceways and jumps so stupid that it'd be easy to launch into a low orbit! :laugh:

Also, check out Woburn Sands.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@delb0y go for it!

My local bridleways are very variable, some bits are ace for riding, others less so (too steep/muddy are the main problems I encounter). It's great fun planning out new routes with the OS map and going exploring though.

My local trail centre is roughly the same distance drive as Exmoor or North/East Dartmoor so I'm spoilt for choice... but from a practical point of view I'm more likely to ride loops I can access from my front door just by hopping on the bike.

Best piece of advice I can offer is to wear walking boots, especially when exploring untested routes at this time of year, as you'll almost certainly end up walking through ankle deep mud at some point!

Top Bottom