Briefcase for paniers

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by djc45, 7 Jun 2008.

1. djc45

djc45 New Member

Hi,
    I am planning to get back into cycling, which I used to do loads, but since I was unwell, have not been able to do so. I am planning to start cycling to work.
    I will train over the summer holidays, planning to start cycling to work in August when the schools go back, I am a teacher by the way.

My question is, can any of you recommend a briefcase kind of panier case that can clip on and off a rack easily. This would give me a briefcase, or 2, to carry around at work, that would simply clip back onto my rack to travel home. I have seen one or 2 that are about the £100 mark, are there any cheaper that any of you have found.

Finally, is there such a thing as a fiberglass locking box that I can fit to the top of a pan ier rack, you know like a motorbike has, so that I can keep things safely locked in it and always with my bike, I`m thinking tools, extra shopping etc.

Any ideas anyone could suggest would be really appreciated.

Thanks

2. Check out Ortlieb, I use their office bag and found it really good. When I was looking most people advised Ortlieb, now I know why.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

+1 for the Ortlieb.

I'd tried a few cheap ones in the past, and after sending back my second Altura Office pannier, decided to pay the extra and get the Ortlieb. I'm so glad I did. It's easy to clip on and off, completely waterproof but simple to get into, and has plenty of pockets and bits inside. And it comes in two widths.

http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=officebag

4. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

+2 for the Ortlieb briefcase.

I have occasionally seen people with fibreglass boxes on their rear racks, but they mostly look home made or adapted from scooter boxes.

If you are really worried about security, I would personally go for an easily removable bag for your tools or shopping. Having said that I regularly leave things in panniers when I park my bike and no one has ever nicked anything. I appreciate that York is safer than some parts of the country, but I don't suppose you'll have that many problems in Troon.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

6. DP

DP Chasse patate

Slightly different approach, but this allows you to strap a regular briefcase to your bike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice