Brifter Positioning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Have just replaced my complete cabling and about to replace the bartape.

Have always wondered about the positioning of my brifters as appear to be different to others and also my other bike.

I know it's personal preference but, out of interest, what's the usual default position?

Mine is currently like this;

image.jpg

outlash

also available in orange
To my eyes they look a little too far up the bars, but I can't think of any advantages or disadvantages to move them unless your knees are a little closer to the bar ends while riding than you would like.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the standard position is with the top run of the bars forming a more or less straight line into the rear of the brifter, but really whatever is most comfortable for you is the one to go for.

Venod

Eh up
Its personnel choice really the shape of your bars also determines the best postion, I dont like mine too far down the bars, I find a smoothe transition from bar to lever works best for me, a nice flat platform for my palms.

Bars are Planet X Strada Compact.

Brake.jpg

Looks totally wierd to me, could be the angle of the photo but the bars look angled down and should be spun upwards so the top should be flat and the shifters moved much further down the bars so the rubbers are flatish with the bars as well.( like @Afnug above) But if it works for you carry on with it, would be totally wrong for me but then again I do resemble a Hobbit.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers everyone. You have confirmed my suspicions and I plan to move them before fitting new bartape. Positioning has felt fine, but had to roll the bars forward to get the brifters into the right position, as you can tell.

Citius

Cheers everyone. You have confirmed my suspicions and I plan to move them before fitting new bartape. Positioning has felt fine, but had to roll the bars forward to get the brifters into the right position, as you can tell.

Moving your bars from your current position to 'Afnug's position' will also have the effect of extending your reach - potentially by 1-2cm - and your stem looks pretty short as it is.

Tim Hall

As an aside, everytime you use the word "brifters", God kills a kitten. Trufax.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Moving your bars from your current position to 'Afnug's position' will also have the effect of extending your reach - potentially by 1-2cm - and your stem looks pretty short as it is.
You're right, it will extend the reach. I bought the shorter stem as I wanted a more compact position and like the faster handling too. I bought it slightly shorter than necessary, with the potential movement of the brifters in mind.

I like the position presently, but do have plenty of scope to extend the reach, especially after adjusting cleats recently and moving saddle forward slightly to compensate.

Citius

The bars are fine as they are, tbh. Afnug's position is 'conventional' and it is also how I have them too. But there's no particular need to change it - if it already suits, then leave as is. A quick look at some of the TdF team bike pics will reveal all kinds of weird and wonderful bar positions - that's not to say yours is weird - it isn't - but you know what I mean ;)

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Had a busy couple of hours. New cables, inner and outer, adjusted brifters and new bartape. I have a sneaky feeling that the left side is ever so slightly lower than the right though. Will test ride and redo it if I need to bring them any higher. 5 mins outside the house feels tidy though. Pic was an afterthought. :smile:

image.jpg

Top Bottom