Brightest rear light/s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

I'm happy with one of these that has been modified to use an external Li-ion battery which I tuck up under the saddle. The Li-ion is about 4V so it now runs much brighter than the standard light did with 2 x AAA cells, and it's also now re-chargeable. It should do well in excess of twenty hours between charges, although I've never let it go that long.
Planet_Bike_Blinky_3_3_Led_Rear_Bicycle_Light_B000RYAKHC.jpg

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
just look at the price though. it seams that you can put a price on safety.
But they are top quality pieces of kit.

Sharky

Guru
Hi

Id avoid bright rear lights for road use as they dazzle/blind other road users, your just asking for complaints from fellow car users/cyclist in my opinion

Even the cheapest rear lights on the market are bright enough for normal night time weather conditions

Apologies if this is waking up an old post, but earlier this week, near Exmouth, I came up behind a trio of cyclists and the one at the rear had one of these ultra bright lights. The light was great for making me aware of his presence, although his pals were equally visible with standard rear lights. The ultra light was set to a slow pulse and every time it pulsed, it was so bright that it obscured the road ahead and his pals with the glare. It made me hang back much more than normal and several safe overtaking spots were missed. In due course, my eyesight adjusted to the glare and overtook safely.

But it has left me thinking. The light was great to be seen by, but made it much more difficult for me in the car to overtake safely and could have put his pals at risk, if I had been impatient and overtaken at the wrong spot ???

So I would agree that the ultra bright rear lights are best avoided.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the lights are adjusted properly, then it's not an issue. I have 3 C&B Seen lights, two older 500 lumen ones and the newer city slicker. They are seriously powerful, but mine are pointed at the ground just behind the bike. The newer City Slicker can't be pointed straight back, and is at the angle of the seat tube for deliberate reasons.

They do light the road up bright red.

Top Bottom