Brightest rear light/s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
I picked up the Exposure flare recently for nighttime riding in bust wide country lanes, (lots of petrol tankers) and I love it. It's very bright, but quite diffused and even in the day it *feels* as if it gets me more noticed.

BSRU

A Human Being
Yeah I said, 300 lumen v's 1200. However a 400R is far more intense which causes ghosting. When aimed properly, e.g. the beam is parallel to the ground for maximum visibility in bad conditions when you really do need those 300 lumen, will cause ghosting in vision on its lowest setting about 25m down the road in clear conditions. If is aimed downwards to the point it doesn't leave ghosting you may as well have bought a rear light such as the smart R2 with 0.5w LEDs.
That's the daytime only light, not the standard version.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
like @IncoherentJeff I favour fibre flares. Not necessarily for any particular safety reasons but because they look cool. I augment them wit a standard 1xAAA LED light, which is probably all you really need.

GrasB

Veteran
That's the daytime only light, not the standard version.
No it's the only version that was available when I bought the 400R. To double the brightness of a 240 lumen light you'd need either 480 or 960 lumen. The figure you need depends on if you're talking about measured output or perceptual.

BSRU

A Human Being
No it's the only version that was available when I bought the 400R. To double the brightness of a 240 lumen light you'd need either 480 or 960 lumen. The figure you need depends on if you're talking about measured output or perceptual.
Strange, on Dinotte's own website it states the standard 400R is 240 lumens, it was when I bought one three years ago and it still is.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I would have to agree with @Pale Rider here. I think the OP is trying to generate a bit of a debate regarding the safety aspect on this forum. I for one have to agree with him......Cycle Chat does need a safety section and I can't believe it hasn't been brought up before. Lots of different thoughts on safety I'm sure, but surely what with the amount of people taking up this great sport and riding on busy British roads, it should be the number one priority.
As for the lights, i am very pleased with the ones the wife picked up from wilko for me. Front one is very bright but not too bright that it would put off on coming drivers. And what's better the back one runs from side to side like Knight Rider :laugh:

GrasB

Veteran
Strange, on Dinotte's own website it states the standard 400R is 240 lumens, it was when I bought one three years ago and it still is.
300 & 240 lumen are so close (90% perceptual light transmission equates to 'clear') it could be LED brightness v's lens corrected brightness.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would have to agree with @Pale Rider here. I think the OP is trying to generate a bit of a debate regarding the safety aspect on this forum. I for one have to agree with him......Cycle Chat does need a safety section and I can't believe it hasn't been brought up before. Lots of different thoughts on safety I'm sure, but surely what with the amount of people taking up this great sport and riding on busy British roads, it should be the number one priority.
As for the lights, i am very pleased with the ones the wife picked up from wilko for me. Front one is very bright but not too bright that it would put off on coming drivers. And what's better the back one runs from side to side like Knight Rider :laugh:
What would you put in the Safety forum? I think safety means a lot of different things to different people.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not another sub-forum please! I'm sure I miss out on a ton of interesting stuff already.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I use many different rear lights, but the Cateye TL-LD1100 (or something similar) is my fav. You can have one row solid & one row flashing/random/etc. It has leds on side too.
I think the main thing with a rear light is to make sure it is visible from behind. ie not obscured by a mudguard, saddle bag or your clothing. The number I've seen fitted behind a mudguard is crazy :blush:

F1fan

I would say a Hope District Plus is good, Just bought one from CRC quite expensive for a rear light but god its bright, the strobe function is very good, a bright light on constant and then a few flashes every 3-4 seconds, no complaints yet as long as you have it at the right angle not to dazzle. As its make in UK it should conform to all the laws.

I personally have one of these, and it has been great.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cateye-tl-ld1100-10-led-with-battery/rp-prod64508

My only "complaint" about it, is that it doesn't remember your settings from last time, and there isn't one on/off button for the rows, but I see this as a bonus so I can change the row setting.
Just a shame it doesn't remember the last mode used.

I use my rear twice daily, plus other rides and regardless of lighting conditions, the top row is always a stable light and the bottom set on random, so it catches drivers attention.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I personally have one of these, and it has been great.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cateye-tl-ld1100-10-led-with-battery/rp-prod64508

My only "complaint" about it, is that it doesn't remember your settings from last time, and there isn't one on/off button for the rows, but I see this as a bonus so I can change the row setting.
Just a shame it doesn't remember the last mode used.

I use my rear twice daily, plus other rides and regardless of lighting conditions, the top row is always a stable light and the bottom set on random, so it catches drivers attention.
Good rear light.

HI folk, I thought I would share my results of finding the rear bike lamp that suits my needs.
I was looking for a rechargeable rear lamp suitable for my dark road commute. After too many hours research then hunting down the best price, I opted for the Moon Comet, from Wiggle at £19.99.
I fitted the Comet to my new fettled bracket see this, http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-3381776.
Again having researched the optimum effect for visibility the lamp should have. The wee gadget lit the front lobby wall completely with perfect coverage.
I'm that impressed I've ordered the front lamp for my new back up light.

Top Bottom