Brighton? Not quite yet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a lot of respect for anybody able to ride a fixed. Thing with Brighton is that the south downs surround it....I for one would want a triple, but then I'm lazy and unfit.

That is quite a speed. I am on about 12-13 mph but I have a fair few hills on most routes.

Not an expert but agree with BTFB - get a triple. I even have an extra small inner cog to help with hills.

Pains could be anything to do with bike size and posture but I do not think you can look at those if you are on a bike that is not made for the job as problems may come from straining to pull away or whatever.

Get a second hand drop handle road bike with 3 front cogs and you will be good to go. Then see what aches persist. I found my road bike much better that a mountain bike for comfort.

You are on a 60 mile each way commute there so would need to get up early. I do a 38 mile round trip commute a couple of times a week but would not go for much more. Also you need to get the work gear sorted etc which is a lot to carry with you.

34 miles is a good achievement but with the right tool it will only be the start. Keep at it and enjoy.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
User1314 said:
At the end of my session the area just below the back of my neck REALLY hurt; my hands REALLY hurt: my knees started to hurt when I braked with my legs. I couldn't have carried on.

Too much weight on your hands and a sore neck probably means your front end is too low or the stem is too long

yello

You're thinking of riding fixed to Brighton? Bonne chance! 15mph is a very respectable average... well done.

I've seen Ditchling Beacon done on fixed (sorry, I can't tell you the gear) and it was one helluvan effort. I personally would be spinning a little gear but credit to those that can do it!

Sour knees can be a sign of pushing too big a gear... so on single speed, you'll just have to wait until the knees get used to it... and hope you don't bugger them in the interim!

If I've not ridden my fixed for as little as a month then I notice 'new' muscles again. The ones on the front of my thighs particularly. I assume I'm using them for slowing the cadence on downhills, or braking. But you do soon get used to it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've done it half a dozen times on 73", with loaded large carradice saddlebag and 15 to 20 Old-Holborn/per day.
That was before my heart Op...

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I did my longest ride yesterday to Box Hill and back from central London 55 miles, got a little lost but great fun. Today I could only do 1 lap of Richmond park I was so tired.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Yes, I was following one of the routes from BR.

barq

User1314 said:
Well, that went well (not). Everything that could go wrong, did.

Oh dear, I think there are days when it just isn't meant to happen. :biggrin: That said I'm impressed you even got out of bed after nine pints the day before! :biggrin:

ade234uk

Today my girlfriend managed 12.2 miles. She is a complete beginner. We did this in 1 hours 30 minutes, which is quite slow for me. I could have done this in around 1 hour on my own, but what I don't want to do is make my girlfriend hate cycling on her first few cycles.

Today she came back and said she enjoyed it which is a bonus for me.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've done the run from SE London to Brighton a couple of times and it took me an average of 5 & 1/2hours.
Obviously it depends on the route you take but I would seriously avoid Croydon at all costs. Then again I believe you are sufficiently West to not need to worry?!:biggrin:

ade234uk

I also find personally that if I set out slow and warm up I can go a lot further. I used to do the silly thing of going like the clappers and then 2 miles down the road being out of energy.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
C of G, I'd post the valve/rim Q on 'know how' and see what folk come back with.

Before I had the MTB I had an old racer and would have all sorts of probs with presta valves, mainly down to my own clumsiness, bad fitting and horrible cheap rims.

I have made temp repairs to splits where the valve meets the inner tube by cutting a small 'X' in the center of a self adhesive patch, enough to push the valve thru the center. You then slide the patch down over the valve to the tube and press it down making sure you're covering the split.

I stress this is only a temporary fix, and you mustn't tighten the valve
collar too close to the rim afterwards but with any luck it will hold air and get you home.:ohmy:B)

Top Bottom