Brighton to Jersey (via Dieppe - St Malo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rymo

Going for my second cycle (tour?) through northern France next week (cycled to Paris and back in April), again low budget, wild camping etc just this time I really want to take a good map (last time there was no map taken and well yeah, lets just say there were many complications..)

Currently looking on amazon but getting a tad confused. If I were to buy an AA or Michelin map of France I would of course only need a small percentage of the pages so these could be removed, is there any way to just buy the maps for that area of france (North West'ish) that i would require?

Actually, any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

Yellow7

Über Member
These are the maps I used on my first tour across France;
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Home/Pro...CycloGuides-to-the-Departments_SI00000729.htm
Just choose the ones you need from the grid, the scale is 1:100,000 so very detailed, they look a tad pricey now so may have to hunt a bit more, I used about 9 on my first tour in 2006 but 99% of roads in France are so well marked that on my last tour I just used a road atlas, taking the pages I needed.

OP
OP
Rymo

Rymo

Yellow7 - Thoses maps look brilliant, but unfortunately they are definitely too expensive for me.
Which road atlas did you use, as i am leaning towards just taking the pages out like you have mentioned..

rich p - 1:300,000 is still very detailed i would imagine right?

At which scale are the larger French road atlas' at usually by the way?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yellow7 - Thoses maps look brilliant, but unfortunately they are definitely too expensive for me.
Which road atlas did you use, as i am leaning towards just taking the pages out like you have mentioned..

rich p - 1:300,000 is still very detailed i would imagine right?

At which scale are the larger French road atlas' at usually by the way?
1cm to 3km is ample IMO.

My Michelin Road Atlas of France is 1cm to 2km. It cost £12 and you could tear pages out and still be cheaper than 3 maps, say. You'd also have the rest of the book for future travels elsewhere in France!

edit - look at this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/France-2012...9645/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345189695&sr=8-4

OP
OP
Rymo

Rymo

I have actually just found some nice michelin local road maps (1:150,000), and figured that 2 will suffice (as the last 30 mile is just straight along the coast pretty much to the harbor). They were €4 each so i'm happy.

Thanks for the information!

Top Bottom