Brighton to London train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Aren't you leaving it a bit late to research this? If Lon-Bri may be a bit of a test then plan early. If it is not then it's a case of ride back from Brighton to London, I'm afraid. There are other routes available that include a flatter exit from Brighton, e.g. west along the front to Shoreham then North via a short-leg burner at Warninglid, Hammerpond, Faygate, up towards Rusper, Reigate, S London > home. Good luck.

Even the organisers don't seem to have bothered with transport back unless I've missed something ?

https://www.londonbrightoncycle.co.uk/the-ride/

Do you have a Brompton you could use ?

T4tomo

Guru
When i did in yonks ago, I drove my car to Brighton on the Saturday and left if there and took the train home (having left my bike in the office in London, but that's optional and 'cos i lived 20 miles north on London).

then Sunday morning got the train t the office, cycled to Clapham and then to Brighton.

Post ride was then a very easy pack the bike into the car and head home.

Unless you have a good mate or family member to pick you up post ride on Sunday, this is definitely the best option.

Or get a large cab to a station :okay:
even if you get to another station with no bike ban, your chances of getting on the train aren't great due to other L2B'ers doing the same.

vickster

Legendary Member
When i did in yonks ago, I drove my car to Brighton on the Saturday and left if there and took the train home (having left my bike in the office in London, but that's optional and 'cos i lived 20 miles north on London).

then Sunday morning got the train t the office, cycled to Clapham and then to Brighton.

Post ride was then a very easy pack the bike into the car and head home.

Unless you have a good mate or family member to pick you up post ride on Sunday, this is definitely the best option.

even if you get to another station with no bike ban, your chances of getting on the train aren't great due to other L2B'ers doing the same.
Leave it as late as poss. What is the OP’s start time and anticipated arrival.
Does the OP have his/her own car to leave somewhere? 🤷‍♀️
I’d stay overnight, Zoom call the meeting and train back post rush hour if riding/driving/cabbing not an option

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here's an idea to help drivers understand how cyclists are treated by train companies: ban cars from all motorways and expressways that pass through Northamptonshire on the day of the British Grand Prix (it doesn't matter if it's useless for getting to the track because the Thameslink service towards Brighton was useless for event participants) with the only notice being a page linked from the National Highways website under "Road Management Companies" (what do you mean you don't know who manages the roads you want to drive on?) then the company name (choosing from a list of bland names like "Connect Plus" and "Midlands Expressway"), then "travel information", "on road information", "bringing a car" and finally "driving events". (This is an exact mirror of the path to reach the Thameslink bike ban notice page.)

I'm sure all drivers would be absolutely fine with that and say it's fair and absolutely not riot at various motorway junctions along the route.

sasquath

It does seem quite perverse to ban them in the opposite direction on empty trains...
Agree, but I bet one or more cyclists on the south side would be greatly upset seeing cyclists disembark from the train/station they are banned from entering. So to save station/train staff hassle of dealing with that issue they banned both directions.

Not to mention cheeky lot that would cycle one or two stations up north, claim they're heading south and then jump on northbound train. All you do is buy tickets both ways and and show southbound one on entry...

tinywheels

Über Member
mmmmm and the solution is

Top Bottom