Brilliant day on the TdF in Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One thing that I had forgotten was how sharp the climb is from Millhouse Green, passing under the 'Woodhead Railway', to where the A628 turns sharp right towards 'The Flouch' (& the side road goes straight down to Langsett Café)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3037008

It was packed bikes, kids from aged 6-7, to teenagers, to the grizzled Audaxers/CTCers, all heading up there, & I had great fun 'racing the kids up' parts of it

Mindst you. coming back down afterwards was a bit fraught, as it seems a lot steeper than going up, but then again, I could pick my line to avoid the broken tarmac/potholes (no cars passed till Millhouse Green Church!)

And, specially painted (the cyclists café);

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4032710

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Jens and his biggest fan. On Grinton Moor
standalone

alicat

Legendary Member
I'll see you that and raise again. :smile:Rode our bikes from London to Yorkshire. Watched the race go by near Otley before riding to Harrogate for a spot 2km from the end. Rode the last two km through cheering crowds when the road re-opened. Rode up Holme Moss the next day and watched at the summit before riding down the other side (got stuck in the cycle jam too)! Then we turned left up the Woodhead Pass which was closed to motor traffic - nearly everyonee else seemed to be heading Manchesteer way. We had completely empty road aprt from a dozen or so other cyclists and got back to our base in Jackson Bridge. Drove down to London last niight and now just about to cycle 10 minutes to catch the finish on Embankment/Birdcage/ Mall!:bicycle:

Yes you get the prize! However we were very happy with our day out, right from the start seeing people coming out of their houses pied piper-like at 7.30 am to catch the train to Leeds was just wonderful.

7onagrifter

Brilliant! I've set meself a target to ride all the hills they've covered, if not the whole route (I'm a relative newcomer to the sport havin' rediscovered it in my 60th year). So I'll be 'avin a bash at that roerd sometime soon pal.
A very good run is the 10 mile length of Mortimer road, (that was part of Stg 2 before they turned off to Bradfield), connecting the A616 between Stocksbridge and Langsett (ye olde mustard pot start point) running South to terminate at the A57 a mile up the road from Ladybower res.
Their is a slight accent upon entering onto the A57 east to reach the summit at moscar heights but then you have a really pleasant long 6+ mile downhill all the way into Hillsboro (dont forget to turn left onto the A6101 and not stay on the A57 as it climbs to Crosspool before down into city centre) where their are Supertram links direct to Meadowhall interchange where you can tackle the mini wonders of Jenkin road near my home ;)

Top Bottom