Brilliant day on the TdF in Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Yesterday we parked at Newby Hall and cycled from there to Ripon racecourse and market place before watching from the roadside at Ripon

I can raise you. We watched the start on The Headrow in Leeds, caught the train to Garforth then drove up the A1 and parked on the outskirts of Ripon and watched it again by the river. Then we accidentally found ourselves in a commercial event watching the finish on the TV. A fabulous day out and a wonderful advert for Yorkshire.

GWS Cavendish.

7onagrifter

Quite simply the best day of my life watching free entertainment of the greatest of chaps (aside berni eisel moanin ovr my low flag :biggrin:) peddlin bikes up "mi local roerd" aka jenkin rd wincobank sheffield 6th july 2014 stage 2 etape' dacier' tour de France 2014, "Catches a few art ont t' lockl roerds rarnd shefilled tha noers" :biggrin: vive le tour & vive le yorkshire mr pruddy ;)

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I can raise you. We watched the start on The Headrow in Leeds, caught the train to Garforth then drove up the A1 and parked on the outskirts of Ripon and watched it again by the river. Then we accidentally found ourselves in a commercial event watching the finish on the TV. A fabulous day out and a wonderful advert for Yorkshire.

GWS Cavendish.
Excellent. Well done.
Leeds, my home town!

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Quite simply the best day of my life watching free entertainment of the greatest of chaps (aside berni eisel moanin ovr my low flag :biggrin:) peddlin bikes up "mi local roerd" aka jenkin rd wincobank sheffield 6th july 2014 stage 2 etape' dacier' tour de France 2014, "Catches a few art ont t' lockl roerds rarnd shefilled tha noers" :biggrin: vive le tour & vive le yorkshire mr pruddy ;)
Brilliant! I've set meself a target to ride all the hills they've covered, if not the whole route (I'm a relative newcomer to the sport havin' rediscovered it in my 60th year). So I'll be 'avin a bash at that roerd sometime soon pal.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Cycled from Harrogate to ilkley and watched it on Sat lunch time then cycled back home to Harrogate watched it on Eurosport Player until it got to Masham then zoomed down the bike path near me to Killinghall and watched it again then rode the course into Harrogate, then watched it again on Sunday on the York road just outside Knaresborough and rode the course again back to Harrogate :thumbsup:

U

User482

I drove over to Skipton for stage one, and cycled over the Pennine bridleway to watch stage 2 at the top of Cragg Vale. Absolutely brilliant!

jamin100

Guru
Drove to up saturday and did the last 100km of stage 2 from the bottom of Blackstone Reseviour all the way into sheffield. Had to leave one of our party at the bottom of the Holme Moss decent as he'd had enough. Went back for him eventually lol

Then went into Hebden Bridge on the sunday to watch the wiz past. Did see someone with a cyclechat jersey on too

RedRider

Pulling through

GWS Cavendish.
I'll see you that and raise again. :smile:Rode our bikes from London to Yorkshire. Watched the race go by near Otley before riding to Harrogate for a spot 2km from the end. Rode the last two km through cheering crowds when the road re-opened. Rode up Holme Moss the next day and watched at the summit before riding down the other side (got stuck in the cycle jam too)! Then we turned left up the Woodhead Pass which was closed to motor traffic - nearly everyonee else seemed to be heading Manchesteer way. We had completely empty road aprt from a dozen or so other cyclists and got back to our base in Jackson Bridge. Drove down to London last niight and now just about to cycle 10 minutes to catch the finish on Embankment/Birdcage/ Mall!:bicycle:

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

I'll see you that and raise again. :smile:Rode our bikes from London to Yorkshire. Watched the race go by near Otley before riding to Harrogate for a spot 2km from the end. Rode the last two km through cheering crowds when the road re-opened. Rode up Holme Moss the next day and watched at the summit before riding down the other side (got stuck in the cycle jam too)! Then we turned left up the Woodhead Pass which was closed to motor traffic - nearly everyonee else seemed to be heading Manchesteer way. We had completely empty road aprt from a dozen or so other cyclists and got back to our base in Jackson Bridge. Drove down to London last niight and now just about to cycle 10 minutes to catch the finish on Embankment/Birdcage/ Mall!:bicycle:
Excellent that man. You get my prize so far.
Have a virtual piece of cake :birthday:

RedRider

Pulling through
Excellent that man. You get my prize so far.
Have a virtual piece of cake :birthday:
Cheers fella. It's been an amazing few days, my finest cycling experience. 537 km on the clock. Did I mention we did this on singlespeed bikes? 47:18 all the way!! (My mate on 48:18. To be fair he gets the prize as he'd been at Glasto the previous weekend where he reckons he had 10 hours sleep over four days.)
I'll make a post with pics when I get the chance.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Cheers fella. It's been an amazing few days, my finest cycling experience. 537 km on the clock. Did I mention we did this on singlespeed bikes? 47:18 all the way!! (My mate on 48:18. To be fair he gets the prize as he'd been at Glasto the previous weekend where he reckons he had 10 hours sleep over four days.)
I'll make a post with pics when I get the chance.
Stunning my friend. Chapeau to you 'n' yer pal! i'm sure you'd 'ave shared the cake anyway, seein' as your so honest :thumbsup:.
Can't quite match your performance, but I've had fantastic year of cycling so far (mentioned already, I'm a late beginner). I got a real warm feeling being part of the big movement of cycling yesterday.
Here's to many more miles under the wheels for me, you, your mate and all the rest of you cycling fools out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Just watched Kittel on t'telly sharing a sweet of some kind offered by a non-team-mate (ie a rider from another team). Such heartwarming sportsmanship and fellowship.
Never enjoyed watching a sporting event so much in my life.
Well done to all those guys!

biking_fox

Guru
We got the not too heaving train to Huddersfield and had a grand day amoung the crowds. Enough people for atmosphere, but enough space not to feel crushed and a chance to get some photos. The road margins were being strictly policed by staff. Even though that wasn't where they were pushing the pace, they still go by in just a few s.

Top Bottom