Bring on the Oldies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikerchick

I was in Ireland on the weekend dong the WestCork 200, and what a great event it was, very well organised, plenty of food and water stops and also a hot food stop and well signed.

Whilst I was there I met an elderly gentleman who cycled the 100 km route . I found out he was 77 and cycles regularly with a group of oldies . They go off on tours several times a year, both in Ireland and abroad, averaging between 100 - 150 km per day and they are all of similar age. Not only do they enjoy their cycling they also enjoy their food and drink!!

This gentleman was called Frank McCann and he was a member of the CTC North Metropolitian District, Hampsted Section in 1955.

He would be interested in getting in touch with anybody who was a member of that club around the same time. So come on all of you out there, ask your parents/friends if they know anything from that time. Frank can be contacted on frankjmccann@eircom.net

Let's hope we're all still able to enjoy life as much as this group do when we reach that time of life!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let's hope we're all still able to enjoy life as much as this group do when we reach that time of life!!
Indeed!

I got chatting to an elderly cyclist a few weeks ago. He had just been out for an afternoon ride. He was 82, had various health problems but was carrying on cycling while he still could.

A great uncle of mine in Scotland cycled into his 80s, only giving it up after his sense of balance started to let him down. (I'd buy a trike!)

One of our senior club members is Barbera Braithwaite, she holds a number of age records and did 31.30 for a 10m & 1.18 for a 25m TT at 80 years of age. I'll be pleased to be anywhere near that fit in 30 years!

400bhp

Guru
Indeed!

I got chatting to an elderly cyclist a few weeks ago. He had just been out for an afternoon ride. He was 82, had various health problems but was carrying on cycling while he still could.

Well done

For keeping up

:becool:

400bhp

Guru
Never ever ever fall into the trap of believing that the old bloke with the spindly legs and beard cannot ride a bike faster than you.

You will fail.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He was a really nice old chap with loads of interesting stories to tell. In fact, he told me lots of them while we waited for the train and then as far as Halifax, where he got off.

His wife had died young and he'd felt lonely sitting around by himself so he joined a local cycling club for the companionship and never looked back.

Top Bottom