Bristol Bath Railway Path in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
What is the Bristol to Bath railway path like to ride in winter? I'm still planning to commute to work a few days a week come winter, but not sure how it is. Is it safe in the dark? Gritted if icy, etc? I normally leave home about 7, and work around 4, so I will be in the dark for part of the journey both ways.

Thanks in advance!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In general, the Bristol/Bath railway path is quieter in the winter, that said it's still busy at peak commuting times so you're rarely alone on the path, and the times you'll be riding will be peak commuting times so you'll rarely be alone in the dark on the path.

Lighting is a tricky subject, the path isn't wide and you'll quickly tire of being dazzled by some very bright lights, I'd go for lights that have a very narrow focussed beam for use on the path, just enough to illuminate the surface ahead of you, and a wider beam for when there's no-one else around or when you ride on the road. Some sections of the path have excellent lighting, others not so much, you will need lights to see with , so don't rely on pound shop blinkies.

Because the path covers three different local authorities, winter treatment varies. In general it's rare for the path to be gritted fully, sometimes busy sections are gritted in Bristol, sometimes in South Gloucestershire but seldom does it happen in Bath.

Currently, we're approaching autumn and any day soon the path will become a mess, expect to be covered in it on wet days.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The path is quieter but not quiet in winter. As above other cyclists light are the worst thing! There are some really stupid people out there who feel that they need retina burning lights on the path directed forward!

IMG_8839.PNG

That was taken on the worst day last year.... when there was black ice and lots of walking cyclists. Keep an eye on Twitter, as the first reports of ice normally start quite early (Warmley Waiting room is one of them). After the first bad day they normally get better and Bristol is better than S. Glos. Spiked tyres are good for those few icy mornings!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
but I tend to direct the beam slightly toward the ground. People can see me, but aren't blinded and I can see anything on the road that might be in my way

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
but I tend to direct the beam slightly toward the ground. People can see me, but aren't blinded and I can see anything on the road that might be in my way
You will discover not every one does! Also using bright flashing lights on the path isn't that pleasant in my opinion. Anyone can see you without it being flashing, and I prefer to use the light to be able to see with so flashing isn't as good. The only time I use a flashing light on the path is if I'm in low battery mode... in which case it's on the lowest power setting anyway and pointed at the ground...

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Even those who point them down don't often point them down enough not to dazzle. To get the top edge of the main beam of some O lights below the horizontal means the centre is less than two wheel widths ahead of the bike.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I commute it all the time. Best done in winter on an MTB with nice fat knobbly tyres. The Autumn can be pleasant, although when all the leaves fall and get mashed up by hundreds of cyclist every day, it turns to a slippery mulch. There are grit/salt bins every now and then for ice. Lingering ice can be a bit of a problem as some of the path is in a cutting in it's own little micro-climate. The low winter sun can sometimes have trouble melting it away.

Having said that, it's commutable about 95% of the time in winter. There's something magical about riding down it in the first heavy snow, crunching under your wheels^_^ and eerily very quiet.

Reactions: mjr

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having said that, it's commutable about 95% of the time in winter. There's something magical about riding down it in the first heavy snow, crunching under your wheels^_^ and eerily very quiet.
I've never not commuted down it ... so make that 100% ... I use studded tyres so I've done it when it's been icy or even snow a few years back ... then there were clearly two tram tracks where the cyclists followed going in or out of town.

Top Bottom