Bristol & Bath Railway Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'd use lights in the Two Tunnels so as to be seen, not to see by, and watch out for dogs, walkers, runners and children, in the gloom - a bell can be useful too.

SWSteve

Guru
Sorry, cake stop in Bitton, not Warmley. Some lovely offerings

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
George Jones Road on the industrial estate. Looks like an easy pedal around to the path at Trinity Street/St Phillips Road
There are directions to the path from there, which misses out the start on St Phillips road and instead goes under St Phililips Causeway (one of the free roads I'm not keen on cycling on).
image.jpeg

From George Jones road you can follow the blue line which will actually have signs (not brilliant ones) to the cycle path which is marked in red. If I'm coming from Temple Meads sometimes I take the yellow/blue route to get to the path and sometimes the green route.

junkie_ball

I have ridden this path a number of times as i live local and it is a great scenic route. My only note of caution if you are looking for a fast ride take care as this path is used by many families out cycling with young children and walkers so be prepared to give way and take it at a leisurely pace.

junkie_ball

Has anybody ridden it? The website photos look like a mostly compacted gravel surface, I'm planning on taking the CX anyway to most surfaces are ok.

If your only doing the Bristol to Bath section have no fear the whole route is now tarmac, the only section that is still gravel is if you go through Bath towards Radstock through the two tunnels. There is a section after the tunnels between Midford and Wellow is compacted gravel and then there is a small section of quiet lanes before rejoining a tarmac disused railway line.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
There are directions to the path from there, which misses out the start on St Phillips road and instead goes under St Phililips Causeway (one of the free roads I'm not keen on cycling on).
View attachment 126054
From George Jones road you can follow the blue line which will actually have signs (not brilliant ones) to the cycle path which is marked in red. If I'm coming from Temple Meads sometimes I take the yellow/blue route to get to the path and sometimes the green route.

Best go the green route to start the Path properly. I live in Staple hill, so I'm lucky enough to use the Path for at least 75% of my daily commute:okay:.

The path is an absolute gem in Bristol's crown. From the start (some of the industrial units opposite once housed the hospital interior sets for Casualty), it start gently and only starts going really uphill in Easton. The lower part as the path goes under Lawrence Hill was once an infamous pinch point but was recently widened. The surface is all asphalt but watch out for some tree-root damage. Stop and rest a moment on the railway sleeper bench at Greenbank for the view:
railway path greenbank.jpg

You'll enjoy going through the Staple Hill tunnel, stop and have a look a bit further on inside the old Mangotsfield Station. It inspired Arnold Ridley to write The Ghost Train play. He later found national fame as the dotty Godfrey in Dads Army. The station is just a shell now and you can sit on the edge of the platform and watch the world go by. And if you get to Warmley, stop for a cake at the cafe and if needed, you can use the Tardis toilet..Yep, they have a police box loo. I hope you enjoy the path and let us all know what you thought about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom