Bristol City Center

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Any Bristolians with advice. Im planning a ride across the Severn Bridge into the city docks area next week.

Plan to come along A403 then off onto the cycle path that runs parrallel to it over the M5 Avonmouth Bridge from Shirehampton to Pill ,up the river side path from Pill and along the edge of the floating harbour up towards the Arnolfini. Mud Dock cafe for lunch then head back.

Two questions.

Is the path from Pill up the side of the river ok in the wet ? (touring bike with light tread on the tyres)

and

Is there a pleasant route direct from the Arnolfini area across towards Aust without using the A403 again?
Cheers /.

Last edited:

lukesdad

funny you should ask graham i did it a couple of weeks ago on my fixed 23c tyres no problem

you have to translate the 2nd bit or show me a map ^_^

lukesdad

I diid the A403 to poplar way, a cycle path goes off the bottom there by the police vehcile place, goes over the M48 and under the M5 there was the odd bit of broken glass but it was OK you have to pick your way thru Pil Mind.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

I diid the A403 to poplar way, a cycle path goes off the bottom there by the police vehcile place, goes over the M48 and under the M5 there was the odd bit of broken glass but it was OK you have to pick your way thru Pil Mind.
Cheers Mark. I roughly know my way through Pill after getting lost the first time I tried to go through. Have cycled the path from there a few times but only in summer and wondered what its like this time of year.

lukesdad

Cheers Mark. I roughly know my way through Pill after getting lost the first time I tried to go through. Have cycled the path from there a few times but only in summer and wondered what its like this time of year.
it was fairly wet when i came through it gets a bit muddy but there is nothing deep IME. good hard shale base under the muddy bits. If you are meeting somone for lunch and want to look your best i wouldn't, but there are no stoppers no problem for the scott.

drewc65

Why not go through Avonmouth and pickup the portway in to Bristol. Runs along side the river. Its got a cycle path. At the end comes up to the old docks and by a pub called the pumphouse not far Mud dock

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Took tadpoles route outwards then came back along the Portway as suggested by Drew 65. Certainly flatter down the portway then out through Avonmouth but not as nice a ride.

BristolRideDec13004_zpsc60dfab9.jpg

Calm waters under the Severn Bridge

BristolRideDec13005_zps49dffe37.jpg

Bristol Floating Harbour

BristolRideDec13011_zps6466ff02.jpg

Clifton Suspension Bridge across the River Avon and above the Portway

Didnt use Mud Dock cafe as I forgot to take a lock.Had a doorstep size bacon sarnie in Brunels Buttery next to the harbour. Enjoyable day out on the bike.

SWSteve

Guru
@Banjo as above I would say ride along The Portway (A4) on the shared path. From here you would arrive at the docks, cycle along the dock side and then cross for the Arnolfini just after the MShed.

Top Bottom