FNRttC Bristol to Barry Island Friday 5th May 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
That picture is slanderous! Carefully positioned to ensure I am seen as the only person enjoying the spread :ohmy::sad: Only the beer in my hand was 'mine' (albeit offered by Adrian). Obviously he had an ulterior motive :tongue:

robjh

Legendary Member
Yet another very enjoyable Fridays ride. That tailwind was great, but why did it have to be so cold? I particularly liked the winding and climby first section from Bristol to the bridge but recognise that others will have preferred the flatlands of Gwent. Something for everyone :ohmy:
Thankyou @User482. A nice crowd generally too. It was also the tiredest I've been on these rides, but the 90 miles beforehand on a loaded tourer may have contributed to that

This was Barry beach in the morning
DSC_0402.JPG

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A grand night out. Started with the Bath-Bristol cycle path, then a great route with some iconic bridges and a great little early morning cafe stop. Many thanks to @User13710 for the loan of a rear light, which I failed to return. Sorry. I'll bring it next time.

Eventually clocked up my first 100miles on a Brompton. Have to say my little B performed flawlessly and comfortably. Then struggled with my grip on reality due sleepiness and zombification on the train journey home.

Thanks all.

wanda2010

Guru
Despite my anti-hill comments (@User482 lied about how many hills there were :angry:), I did enjoy the ride and my legs are getting stronger cos I didn't have to walk up any of them :ohmy::dance: The half-way stop had the most knick-knacks I've seen since my mother's living rooms of years gone by, but it was the most comfortable despite the missing door to the 'garden room'.

Hope it runs again next year.

I managed to stay awake to celebrate my niece's 21st. Just. Now off to bed.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It had been a while since I'd had a really high-mileage ride. Last year's highest total was 128, 2015's 123. Having had the week off, I'd been hoping to get the imperial century done for this month. One way or another (weather, Other Stuff, but mostly the weather) I'd not managed it earlier in the week. I wasn't sure whether I'd give the ride to Bristol a go- had to wait and see if the weather was favourable enough, and how I felt the morning after the night before (Einstürzende Neubauten at the Forum in Kentish Town). The answers to those two questions were: ENE wind all day (strong, but when you're going northwest, very helpful) and just fine. Even then, I decided to allow rather more time than I needed, not least to give myself the option of returning home & getting the booked train (1831) instead if I didn't feel up to it. Was thinking 1100 or so would do (aiming for 2130 at Pizza Express), in the end started the Garmin at 1037. Early signs were promising- going north not bad at all, crosswind didn't impair the speed, and the tailwind proved most beneficial. 11+mph average was my benchmark for making the 2130 target, and early on I was doing 12-13, so plenty quick enough without needing to hammer. So I kept going....

Made Salisbury (46 miles) just after two, rolling average for that stretch was 12.6 despite not-exactly-flat terrain, and had a late lunch from Tesco. Early speed continued afterwards, through Wylve and Warminster to Trowbridge, with just a couple of minor navigation fails. Got to Bradford-on-Avon and (eventually, after multiple detours) found my way down to the Kennet and Avon canal towpaths, which I stayed on all the way to Bath. With the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't go that way again, I'd have stuck to the roads. Had another back-and-forth before eventually finding the right way west at Avoncliff (signage often not as clear as it should be), there was also a very steep scree-like descent to the path there, which I tiptoed down. The path itself was fairly smooth but narrow, particularly under bridges, plenty of dog walkers etc, so caution was key. An hour to travel the eight miles to Bath, that really hurt the overall average. Pleasant, yes, but slow. Yet more navigational fun in Bath before joining the Bristol to Bath Railway Path. Which, unlike the Kennet and Avon paths, was pleasingly rapid. Smooth, wide, and nearly 12 mph average into Brizzle, got the overall average up again (though not enough to compensate, of course). Hit the 100 mile mark just after 8pm, and paused for a quick break before continuing on to the centre. I could have saved a few miles by taking a more direct route, but it was very pleasant and I can't imagine hitting umpteen red lights would have helped the speed. Outside the Pizza Express at 9.05, 109 miles done to there, and I was polishing off the remainder of a bag of doughnuts (today's mid-ride snackage) when Claud and Rob joined me not long afterwards, shortly joined by the rest of the planned gathering. Much Italianate carb-loading followed before the very short onward journey to College Green.

So, after the ride to the ride, there was the, er, ride. The first stretch was, as promised/warned, very lumpy indeed. I knew what to expect, I had ridden in Bristol before & I know a local or two. There were complaints from some of the riders from the area that Steve hadn't gone for an easier route out of town. Well, I didn't find it that bad, even with over a century in my legs…the Welsh bit was definitely not flat, but again, not surprising to me. And, my elevation data shows, my route to Bristol was rather lumpier than the one from there to Barry. No complaints about the extra bridges, nice to cross the Clifton off the list. The Severn was a joy again, particularly when (somewhat enraged by the entirely unecessary electronic notice reminding us of the equally unecessary speed limit on the cycle lanes) I decided to speed up for a bit. On my previous crossings, I think I treated 15 mph as a minimum, wasn't that much slower this time (14.4 mph average). Much more sensible....

As for the Welsh section, a stereotypical phrase well earned: 'That's lovely'. The Seawall Tearooms in Goldcliff proved a rather delightful halfway stop. Apart from all the windchimes :smile: Splendid cake (thanks @wanda2010 for the second helping), and a decent corned beef pasty. Comfy seating to boot. We also had a visit from the local constabulary…entirely friendly, naturally. In view of ongoing rapidity and lack of mechanicals, there was a need for additional sightseeing/nattering opportunities. Steve did his bit by fettling his mudguard at Cardiff Bay barrage, but we were still at Marco's well before the suggested time of 8am. Not a problem, they were open already. Bacon butties rather than full Welsh, but this left room for cake (large Belgian bun in my case, nom). A dozen miles into an epic headwind did not appeal, even with a lot of time to kill before the 1230 train. Therefore joined Team Let's Get to Cardiff Before The Utterly Stupid Saturday Morning Bike Ban. A pot of tea and a Welsh cake in the excellent Servini's cafe before further refreshment in the Wetherspoons. And then the joys of the FGW cattle truck back home. Fortunately for a large chunk of the journey I had no neighbour and therefore slightly more legroom. Sporadic snoozing, not surprisingly. Back home at four, a nap not long after that. And I awoke to find Pompey were League Two Champions. Tidy!

Splendid job Steve, and thanks everyone! If you haven't had enough climbing, there's plenty of that on my IOW ride next Friday (19th)....;)

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
Mmmmm
Reads reports, looks at photos.....makes note for 2018.....
You should. I was a first timer and I'm already hoping it runs again.

Hugs
Archeress x

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I almost forgot: on our way to Paddington from Victoria, Adrian and I were accosted by a friendly bicyclist who chatted to us at some traffic lights before saying that he thought he recognised Adrian from the past. It turned out to be a certain Mr Bent Mikey, looking very chipper, and he was riding an upwrong! :ohmy:
Uh!
Fine fellow, did you find out what he's up to these days?

Top Bottom