Bristol to Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Only if you put your bike on the roof rack.

upandover

Guru
I've done it mostly down the A38. It was all fairly good, nothing where I felt threatened - though I didn't like a couple of carriageway slipways. Doing it again, I'd look for away around rather than through Gloucester.

S

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've done it mostly down the A38. It was all fairly good, nothing where I felt threatened - though I didn't like a couple of carriageway slipways. Doing it again, I'd look for away around rather than through Gloucester.

S

This bit's true - cycled from Cheltenham to Bristol and the only hasty bit is some of the dual carriageways in Gloucester. Gloucester south to Bristol on A38 is fine. A medium-busy A-road, yes but wide and most heavy traffic is on the parallel M5. Dunno about north of Gloucester

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No problem. To avoid the dual carriageway into Gloucester, hang a left into Quedgeley when you get the chance. Just before that gets you back to the main A38 again at the huge junction with the 30+ traffic lights, take the bus lane to the left past KFC, and you will find your way onto a lovely wide cycle lane that follows the western by-pass for a couple of miles. Where the main road hits a T junction after Gloucester Docks, get back on it at the lights and turn right to avoid roundabout at Over and another stretch of dual carriageway . Not my favourite road, but take it carefully and you will be OK. Very easy from there, eventually following the signs for the A38 from there to Tewkesbury and beyond (soon after the old cattle market/B&Q site). Very easy all the way to Tewkesbury. Worcester is a bit of a bitch, though. Every single time you turn left, you immediately need to be in the right hand lane straight after - and vice versa. After that, Bromsgrove means more dual carriageway I'm afraid.

Top Bottom