Britain's Greatest Ever Sportsman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mary Rand, Mary Peters, George (Mary) Best, Daley T. Steve R. I.T. Botham, Sachin Tendulkar, Dave Bedford...there's an endless list of 'greatest' - for their inspiration to 'us' the public who dabble in sport. Redgrave has to be near the top of anyone's list...Ben Ainslie too - for enduring skills and fitness over time. Just a little word for Brian Johnston, Bill McClaren, Peter West et al, who help buff the reputations! :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Mary Rand, Mary Peters, George (Mary) Best, Daley T. Steve R. I.T. Botham, Sachin Tendulkar, Dave Bedford...there's an endless list of 'greatest' - for their inspiration to 'us' the public who dabble in sport. Redgrave has to be near the top of anyone's list...Ben Ainslie too - for enduring skills and fitness over time. Just a little word for Brian Johnston, Bill McClaren, Peter West et al, who help buff the reputations! :smile:

Rather broad definition of "British" :tongue:

Another "big up" for Ben Ainslie. A real competitor whose record speaks for itself

Reactions: 4F

tyred

Legendary Member
It always interests me how people from Northern Ireland are British when they are successful and Irish when they aren't successful.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
The gentle giant - John Charles.

World class as a centre half and as a centre forward. GB's most successful player overseas - three Scudetti with Juventus and voted Juve's best ever import above Zidane and Platini.

Never booked and frustratingly (to his teammates) honest.

It's a scandal that he wasn't knighted.

John-Charles-rises-high-t-007.jpg

Yes, if he'd played for Manchester United, he'd be much better known. It was said of Duncan Edwards, that he had the potential to be as good as John Charles - quite an accolade.

As DP has noted, a scandal that he wasn't knighted. In his first season with Serie A, he was top scorer with 28 goals - a great achievement, given that he frequently played as a defender.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
The gentle giant - John Charles.

World class as a centre half and as a centre forward. GB's most successful player overseas - three Scudetti with Juventus and voted Juve's best ever import above Zidane and Platini.

Never booked and frustratingly (to his teammates) honest.

It's a scandal that he wasn't knighted.

John-Charles-rises-high-t-007.jpg

Probably because he played for Leeds United too.

Until - hopefully - later this year: Tommy Godwin.
...when it will be just Godwin's 'Lore'...replaced by Steve 'The Patriarch Missile' Abraham (who would ideally be riding a Genesis, I suppose...:rolleyes:)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Yehbbut Joss was more of an all rounder.... think Eddy Merckx Vs Chris Froome

Besides, Billy isnt in this... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-British-Hendos-Sporting-Heroes/dp/0224082485

Joss was one of the first really great fell runners, but I think that Billy's best times (on the same courses) are actually better. I think that Billy is a great all rounder - he certainly has one the best times on the Bib Graham Round.

Both are great runners and I have enormous respect for both of them.

i've done quite a few fell races (years ago) and I noticed that the very best runners, were those who could descend very rapidly.

Are there any Fell Races in the South of England ?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
That bloke who wrote "feet in the clouds" was a Southerner wasnt he?

Yeah, I think he is a Southerner. I read the book . . . he mentioned the Mickleden Straddle Race and how some runners got hypothermia. I did the race that year and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I had multiple layers on and just couldn't get warm. There was deep snow and I found it very difficult to maintain a consistent gait, it took me nearly two and a half hours, to do about 13 miles.

Chapeau for giving it a go though, looks a bloody tough sport

Thank you for your silver-tongued flattery :thumbsup: - which I'm shallow enough to appreciate. ^_^

Horses for courses, I guess it Is just what you are used to doing. I've enormous respect for the likes of @rich p who thinks nothing of cycling from Brighton to Manchester, just to get a cheap pint. Or @robjh who on the CC ride from Llandrindod Wells, seemed to effortlessly maintain the same pace, both up and down hill . . . a bl**dy fast pace too !

There was a certain psychological aspect to fell running, that I'd always find difficult; on turning up at an event, we were aware that the highest hill in the vicinity, would be the one we'd be running up. Going up was easy, coming down in wet conditions could be very dangerous - I remember quite a spectacular fall on the Tour of Tameside . . . made worse by the fact, that it happened close to the finish - in full view of the spectators, my embarrassment was total. I didn't feel any pain at all - until the adrenaline had worn off. ^_^

Top Bottom