British bottom bracket in Swiss threaded shell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Before you ask, yes I did pick up a cheap peugeot without first checking on age and therefore threading :biggrin:

I've not been able to remove the drive side fixed cup from the frame (no bench vice), and before I pay the LBS money to do it I just wanted to check to see if it's fairly easy to install a British threaded BB in place of the swiss jobby in there?

As an alternative, the bearings & cups are in mint condition, so can I just replace the axle for a shorter one or is this another non-standard part (i.e. Swiss axle?!).

All help/suggestions much appreciated before I write off the £50 I paid for the bike :smile:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I reckon just get a new axle.

jimboalee

http://cyclespeugeot.com/Threading.html

If the race looks mint, it will be fine if you leave it in there.

Even a small amount of pitting will give a little rumble , but if the bike cost £50, its still worth the purchase

At least you have got the movable cup out. :biggrin: How is it?

Shafts come in various lengths, and there should be 5 mm of adjustment of the movable cup.

When you reassemble, plaster a FULL set of loose balls in with loads of Moly impregnated grease.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Looks like it'll be a bit of a struggle finding the right length BB axle. That'll teach me for being a bit hasty with the purchase...

Top Bottom