British Cycling and Cycle Rescue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
You can go a fair way in a taxi for £16 .Unless you are really in the back of beyond Im not sure breakdown insurance is money wisely spent.

It is if you ride a recumbent trike. Not every taxi is capable of carrying one without major disassembly. Similarly if you ride in sparsely populated countryside getting a taxi to even think about coming to pick you up is a no, no!
ETA will pick me and the trike up, including if I only puncture, although I'd replace the tube and hope to carry on in normal circumstances, and take me to the car or home or to an LBS if more than 10 miles and closer than the car/home.

Also for the mechanically inept and anyone with a physical problem that doesn't let them repair and continue ETA is the answer.

400bhp

Guru
ETA will pick me and the trike up

I've just renewed my wife's breakdown cover but will certainly consider these next renewal.:smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
1629086 said:
Odd, is it not, that cyclists are mostly expected to fix their own punctures and generally look after their machines, whilst motorists tend to do none of that nowadays.

Not odd at all, bikes are (still)relatively low-tech - and after all cars (usually) carry a spare wheel. But have I noticed a regrettable trend over recent years for bikes to become seen as more 'technical' and 'specialized', requiring 'expert' attention, and servicing? - with the threat of an invalidated guarantee if the user attempts self adjustment. Every one who regards themself as a cyclist (male or female)should be able to change an inner tube, and carry the kit required to do so .

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I have used ETA cover before. Only needed their service once (when my rear mech snapped in half causing the chain to snap, then tearing into the seat and chain stay). I called them and after saying that my bike had broken, it took a few goes (after the kept insisting on my number plate) to convince them that it was a push bike and not a motorbike! They use the same recovery as you would get for a motor vehicle. I was happy to put my bike in the back of the van, but the fella was insistent that it was fitted to the trailer!
Have to say that the service was great, but I can't justify the cost (mine was just over £100 for the year) against my British Cycling membership and contents insurance cover (I am confident enough to deal with punctures etc).
I would imagine it depends on the premium if you feel it is of value.

byegad

Legendary Member
We pay £168 for two cars with full recovery including hotels and all the trimmings, plus the (tri)cycle recovery.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I might consider something like this, considering I can't use the wife taxi (Ms. P doesn't drive either).

Having said that I've never got stuck so far although I've come close. I once whacked a wheel back into shape using a rock. It wasn't very good after, but at least it cleared the frame. I'm trying to think of things that are pretty much unbodgeable at the roadside and I can only think of busted fork (can't do a Eugene Christophe these days).

Top Bottom