British Gas scam!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We responded to a BG offer to get our old boiler assessed and a quote for a replacement. A week later we received a lovely letter from BG announcing that as one of their best customers we could have ANY boiler repair for £99.00! Yes, only £99.00!

A great offer for British Gas! Why? Because as soon as we call their engineer and the bloke claps eyes on our old boiler he's under instruction to condemn it as unsafe....!

Keith Oates

Janner
Now try to tell them the assessment is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Rigid Raider said:
We responded to a BG offer to get our old boiler assessed and a quote for a replacement. A week later we received a lovely letter from BG announcing that as one of their best customers we could have ANY boiler repair for £99.00! Yes, only £99.00!

A great offer for British Gas! Why? Because as soon as we call their engineer and the bloke claps eyes on our old boiler he's under instruction to condemn it as unsafe....!

get a quote from an independant, I was quoted £2k cheaper !!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
To tell the truth I will do it with my neighbour who is a retired plumber with a good deal more experience than any Corgi-registered kid. Then our chimney sweep (Corgi) will certify it for us. I just wanted to know the BG price.

The BG salesman turned up in a BMW and true to form he was a complete cock, mouthy, arrogant, patronising and smelly.

yello

Rigid Raider said:
the bloke claps eyes on our old boiler he's under instruction to condemn it as unsafe....!

This happened to us here in France. So we ripped out the boiler and the gas tank (no town supply here) and replaced the entire system with a food fired burner. TotalGas lost our business entirely.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Similar happened to me, 1 week before Xmas.... wanred to sign up to British Gas scheme for annual check, service etc. Boiler condemned on 1 st visit. I got someone else to put new one in, though £2,000 just before Xmas was not something i was too happy about! Needless to say, I change supplier pronto, and have had nowt to do with that bunch of charlatans ever since! xx(

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I had a BG rep on my doorstep last week 'arguing' to get me to change my utilty supplies back to them.

With much relish I gave the pushy fella a full rant on my experience of the methods and kak handedness of BG at my previous abode.
I also told him that as a key meter customer I am already paying 12% more for the pleasure of heat and light and the £80 p/a he said I would save was a pure delight to be paying in order to never deal with BG again.

'Your Loss Then!' he shouted as he walked away,
'No M8, it's your loss I believe as you won't get a commission on my account' I replied as I took his name and number in order to ring BG and complain, yet again.

Danny

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
To tell the truth I will do it with my neighbour who is a retired plumber with a good deal more experience than any Corgi-registered kid. Then our chimney sweep (Corgi) will certify it for us. I just wanted to know the BG price.

The BG salesman turned up in a BMW and true to form he was a complete cock, mouthy, arrogant, patronising and smelly.
BG sales and marketing people can be a pain, but to be fair their actual servicemen can be very good.

Some years ago we wasted hundreds of pounds with a well renowned local plumber trying to get him to sort out problems with our heating system.

We eventually brought BG in who correctly diagnosed the underlying cause of the problems (which are local plumber had missed), and permanently fixed it.

TWBNK

The best one I had was someone turn up for the second time in a few months, explain he was 'from the gas' and ask me to sign a form so we could make our gas bills 'less complicated'

I let him talk on for a little while and then stated to him that at no point had he actually said that it would mean changing supplier and in fact he was misrepresenting himself. I then pointed out that with the area I live in being full of pensioners that he should be able to trick a few into signing up with his scam.

I then asked him why he didn't park his nice shiny convertable car in the street that he was conning at the time and why he insisted on parking it some distance away perhaps so we didn't see how well his commission was doing for him. (I had noticed him park up earlier on my way back from school)

Funnily enough a few days later I worked with someone who knew him and he remarked how this fellow had a really high sign up rate.

Not BG though.

Top Bottom