British National Road Race Champs 27th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CarnageAX

Just got back from watching womens and some of mens race. Mighty big crash on steep downhill saw womens race shortened by half. From what I saw mens race was quite uneventful, lots dropping out due to heat/pace. I'm mentioning no names ... cav.

Millar looked pretty good for the tour this year though, can't wait.

Skip Madness

Do I have to say it? OK I'll say it.

Well done Eurosport, that was some genuinely well put-together coverage. The commentators did OK for both races, and they were very well presented and directed. I'm also pleased to see that rather than the women being given a separate programme last year, it was integrated into the men's programme this year.

On the races, the women's race being reduced to four laps seemed ridiculous. I know the crash was a major hold-up, but they could surely still have run six laps. Does anyone know who the injured riders are? The final lap was excellent, though. Interesting to see Pooley win it from a break on the flat, I think Cooke switched-off for a second and when she looked up the gap was too big to bridge. She'd have probably just about hung in to contest the sprint if she'd chased immediately. But I'm glad Pooley won for two reasons: one because it breaks the tedious Cooke domination, and two because she was looking so strong when the other three were hurting on that final lap that she was clearly the best there, and the best damn well should win. Five days 'till the Giro!

The men's race was a bit tedious once it got down to the Sky riders, but the commentators did a good job of holding the interest. I was expecting them to act out a struggle but plan for it to go to Thomas so that Sky would have the national jersey at the Tour, but Kennaugh looked like he was going for it reasonably hard.

BearPear

Veteran
Well I saw Cav and came over all giddy! It was after he dropped out and he was just chillin' at the side of the road signing autoraphs and what-not. Seemed like a nice chap. I managed to take a quick photo before Mr BP dragged me away! I'm all star-struck.
We also saw Lizzie Armiststead posing for a photo with a little girl just as we arrived, she looked fresh as a daisy after her race.

Svendo

Guru
I went up to watch, got there part way through mens race. I think Cav had already packed. Being a straight forward race did make it much easier to keep track of round the course though, got some good photos of the leading bunch straining up Barley Lane, and the chasing group with David MIllar.
I have to say respect to Mr. Millar, although he retired a few laps from the end, and was absolutely knackered, he went to lie on the grass near the river in the public park with the general public. And he sat up and obliged for every child and sad old git (ie me) wanting an autograph or photo despite being thoroughly spent. A true Gent, especially as he could easily have gone to the VIP area.
As an aside, he was supported in the race by the British Cycling car and I didn't see a HTC Columbia car either, so I guess it was the same for Cav.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Hooray for our two champs, Emma and Geraint - very proud for British cycling that they'll be wearing the jerseys at the Giro Donne and Tour de France respectively.

Must have been an uncomfortable day to have had to ride a bike race - I was handing up bottles to my brother in a 100m TT and that was bad enough!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Legs said:
Hooray for our two champs, Emma and Geraint - very proud for British cycling that they'll be wearing the jerseys at the Giro Donne and Tour de France respectively.

Yeah, and Thomas will certainly be a more high profile champion than the rather unexpected Kristian House.

resal1

Was there today, on the climb. Very sad about shortening the women's race. Seemed crazy when they left the men's race start time unchanged. A couple of laps off that would not have effected the result. A rider was hospitalised. Any news ? Great to see Emma win. I could not see the run in from where I was. Glad to hear that Emma was strongest there - skip - because I was very worried for her on the climb. Team Cervelo really made Cooke work hard to day. Cooke was easily the strongest throughout the race on the climb and kept attacking the 3 Cervelo riders. One time they dropped Sharon and then several times dropped Lizzie. But the Cervelo girls worked as an excellent team and never did anything to harm their chances - perfect team work - they sat on Cooke the whole race from where I watched, and from what others told me. But at least between them they wore Cooke down and were able to beat her. That climb was brutal. Both races just fell apart on it. Anyone with any news on the girls hurt please post it.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Apparently Nikki Harris lost a fair bit of bark... (again)

Skip Madness

Poor Nikki Harris seems to have lots of bad luck with injuries. On the TV shots the incident looked quite serious.

Eurosport only showed the final lap on telly, and although Cooke worked the hardest throughout that lap Pooley looked like she was coasting for a lot of it.

I'm so jealous of all of you who went to see it!

Globalti

Legendary Member
We went and we parked in Downham in the NW corner of the circuit, taking the shuttle bus up. At the circuit there was a tiny corralled area where spectators were supposed to stay, this was to watch a fast downhill ending in a sharp right over a cattle grid. Like most spectators though we wandered along the verge and got ourselves a nice vantage point at the top of the big hill leading out of Barley, where we watched about five laps of the mens, until it became obvious that five leading riders including Sky were well ahead. It was a nice way to have a picnic and spend a couple of hours and I was able to ride home while my wife and son drove the car home.

Just seen PaulB's post somewhere else and yes, there was some hassle with the farmer at that end of the circuit, at one point he called the Police to complain about spectators walking on his land along the road. The road was closed to spectators along there but the marshall on the corner didn't seem to be doing much about keeping people off. We wondered if that was the same farmer who drove up the field in a 4x4 and sold tins of drink to the spectators over his wall.

I had a trip out to see this event, It was quite difficult to reach the start/finish, requiring a 2.5 km walk. It was very scenic and very hot, clashing with the football couldn't have helped spectator numbers, which was a pity as it was a good day out. The TV cameras were set up for a sprint finish, which after 15 laps of a hilly course was never going to be on the cards. Less than 15 of the 130 starters finished, most either pulling out or being lapped.
I made a 4 minute video of the scenes, getting an opinion from Andy Wilkinson on the day.

YouTube
- Broadcast Yourself.

modify_inline.gif

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sysagent said:
Genuinely pissed off that I missed this event less than ten minutes away because I elected to watch that shambles on the tele instead...

;-(

Being a Great Harwooder, do you know John Rutter? He was there.

Top Bottom