British Skin Foundation London to Brighton Cycle Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1880841 said:
I doubt it, racing is being encouraged
"Have you got a competitive streak? Do your colleagues think they will be able to beat you to the finish line? "
racing. on the highway. that's illegal isn't it?

OP
OP
Kelly2012

Kelly2012

Hi Everyone!

Well thank you for all your comments, I am quite overwhelemed to be perfectly honest. Taking all your views on board I am more than happy to make cycling helmets optional, however I will ask all participants to sign a form to say that they take part it this event their own risk etc. Do you think this would be better?

To be perfectly honest I based helmets being compulsory upon the rules and regulations that a company we worked with last year, and so I thought it would be best/safest thing for us to do, but obviously I was wrong and I apologise for that. As we/I are putting this on ourselves and you seem disagree with it (and you are my target audience) I will change this. I will come up with a list of items that may be useful but not essential, for example cycling gloves, helmet etc.

In regards to my "Have you got a competitive streak? Do your colleagues think they will be able to beat you to the finish line? " I am not encouraging racing as such (despite it may appear to be) it was simply meant to encourage and motivate people to sign up and generate a bit rivilary/fun between teams. When I wrote this I never realised that my words would be so harshly picked apart, everything was meant in a fun and friendly, if not slightly cheeky, in a way that will (hopefully) get people excited about the event and ultimately the charity.

This is my first time of independantly organising this event and I want to get it right and of course raise as much money as possible, so if you have any further comments or would like to help put this together please get in contact, all my details are on the website.

Thanks!

mangaman

Welcome Kelly :smile:

It's good to see another London to Brighton ride. Im always put off by minimum sponsorship though, id rather foot a £50 enterance fee myself than ask people for sponsorship so I can have fun, but thats just me. I hope all goes well with the event :smile:

Hi MrJamie

Out of interest, why do you welcome another London-Brighton ride?

It seems the route of default and is nice, but as Dell and his night rides have shown, there are loads of potential routes all over the country which are at least as nice. London-Brighton is close to reaching saturation point IMHO.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Hi MrJamie

Out of interest, why do you welcome another London-Brighton ride?

It seems the route of default and is nice, but as Dell and his night rides have shown, there are loads of potential routes all over the country which are at least as nice. London-Brighton is close to reaching saturation point IMHO.
Mostly just being supportive to the new poster, rather than trying to imply it's an exceptionally good route. Personally Id particularly like to do one of the London-Brighton charity rides sometime since hearing about the BHF one. Its the first big ride id heard about before id really got into cycling, read a blog about it and its fair to say it captured my imagination.
:smile:

mangaman

Mostly just being supportive to the new poster, rather than trying to imply it's an exceptionally good route. Personally Id particularly like to do one of the London-Brighton charity rides sometime since hearing about the BHF one. Its the first big ride id heard about before id really got into cycling, read a blog about it and its fair to say it captured my imagination.
:smile:

Fair does :smile:

OP
OP
Kelly2012

Kelly2012

That you very much for the support Mr Jamie. I do realise London to Brighton does seem a little overdone but as we are such a small charity (there are only 5 memebers of staff) and we don't have money to throw at large scale grand events, we wanted to start with an event which was iconic and well recongised. The plan is to (hopefully) get this established and gain a good cycling supporter base and then we can look at putting on slightly different more adventurous rides. Once again, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas about what we could do in the future it would be great to hear them so please get in contact.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As to London to Brighton being overdone.
The majority of people who sign up and do these type rides don't usually do a lot of riding, so the 'London to Brighton' route is a mythical classic if you will. It's a good distance for newcomers to riding and is pretty plain and simple with just a couple of hills to conquer. So fair play to anyone who signs up to do the ride.

OP
OP
Kelly2012

Kelly2012

The ride is to try and attract as many people as possible and so it needs to be something that all participants can successfully complete. The ultimate aim is to raise money for a very good cause.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hi Everyone!

Well thank you for all your comments, I am quite overwhelemed to be perfectly honest. Taking all your views on board I am more than happy to make cycling helmets optional, however I will ask all participants to sign a form to say that they take part it this event their own risk etc. Do you think this would be better?

To be perfectly honest I based helmets being compulsory upon the rules and regulations that a company we worked with last year, and so I thought it would be best/safest thing for us to do, but obviously I was wrong and I apologise for that. As we/I are putting this on ourselves and you seem disagree with it (and you are my target audience) I will change this. I will come up with a list of items that may be useful but not essential, for example cycling gloves, helmet etc.

Thanks!

Can I just say.... "Well done"

I spent Saturday night riding 100km around London for charidee in compulsory helmet and compulsory hi-viz (yes hi-viz at night, useless) in a state of semi-seething resentment at the pointlessness of it all as hardly any of the participants had a clue as to how to ride in a group, displayed zero cyclecraft, undertook riders in primary like bandits and jumped red lights like doing so was mandated by law.

Kelly2012 has restored some of my faith in human nature.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That you very much for the support Mr Jamie. I do realise London to Brighton does seem a little overdone but as we are such a small charity (there are only 5 memebers of staff) and we don't have money to throw at large scale grand events, we wanted to start with an event which was iconic and well recongised. The plan is to (hopefully) get this established and gain a good cycling supporter base and then we can look at putting on slightly different more adventurous rides. Once again, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas about what we could do in the future it would be great to hear them so please get in contact.
in terms of overall 'take', L2B is the only game in town. I'd wager that the number of charity riders on L2B events outnumber all other charity events in the country, and by a stretch. But.........you are operating in a congested market. The BHF takes a huge slice of entrants, although the amount they raise over and above their expenses might not be as great as one could wish.

What you need is a really, really iconic ride, with an original premise a fabulous start, a momentous finish and great roads along the way, all of which would be sold on the basis of a strong identity and publicity snappy enough to go viral. And you need the organisation to back it up. Not easy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
in terms of overall 'take', L2B is the only game in town. I'd wager that the number of charity riders on L2B events outnumber all other charity events in the country, and by a stretch. But.........you are operating in a congested market. The BHF takes a huge slice of entrants, although the amount they raise over and above their expenses might not be as great as one could wish.

What you need is a really, really iconic ride, with an original premise a fabulous start, a momentous finish and great roads along the way, all of which would be sold on the basis of a strong identity and publicity snappy enough to go viral. And you need the organisation to back it up. Not easy.
Simon... what chance you might arrange a FNRatL (Friday Night Ride around that London) at some point in the future.....

Davidc

Guru
Hello kelly 2012, nice to come across someone listening!

With the change regarding helmets I'll see what I can do about participating - I have a familial interest in the aims of the charity, and have been unable so far to take part in any of the other events I'd have liked to this year.

Whether or not I'd wear a helmet depends mostly on the weather, though I couldn't do Ditchling Beacon wearing one at any temperature. As for proper gloves - you'll not find me on a bike without them.

I think it's important that everyone on cycling events understands that they have to take responsibility for themselves and that they act at their own risk, nothing to do with helmets. Ride organisers really shouldn't have to worry about how people ride on public roads, they have better things to do.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Simon... what chance you might arrange a FNRatL (Friday Night Ride around that London) at some point in the future.....
none. It's unworkable. And, while you can sell it as an idea, in reality it's just one street after another.

Beginning, middlle, end. Strong narrative. Simplicity. And good weather! Of course the ride is just one half of the equation - in crude fundraising terms most of the riders on a charity ride are simply unpaid extras. All the expertise in the world, all the prep and all the organisation may bring people back year after year, but the sad truth is that ten percent of your participants will bring in most of the cash.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Kelly.
I would say that Gloves are essential items to wear on this type of ride.
You will have a lot of experienced and inexperienced cyclists in a bunch.
One slight mishap, an accident, hands are the first to hit the floor... cue lot's of cuts and abrasions to palms of hands = no continue the ride.

Top Bottom