British steel in small...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
Hello,

A friend has asked me to keep an eye on eBay for an old bike for him. The issue is that he's only 5'9” so needs something small. All I've seen for the last few weeks are 22" frames or bigger.

He's specifically not after a modern compact frame.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

paul-kent

What type of bicycle ?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am 5'9" ish and all my bikes are a 54 cm frame, which is very close to 22" and so that frame may possibly fit your friend.

I would tell him to visit a LBS and sit on a couple of bikes just to make sure that size frame is suitable. Better still if he can ride them. He is allowed to try bikes out without buying them.

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
If it's old steel that he wants 22" may be perfect for him. Depends really on his leg size. I have 22 and 23" frames and I'm only about 1/2" taller.

Really? My bike is 22" I think and I'm 5' 11" and it's about right for me. I wouldn't want it any bigger that's for sure. I don't think I have a longer than average body iyswim.

Maybe I need to check the size of mine in the morning.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Where is he?

I've a 1986/7 Peugeot Premiere which is a 21" frame and fits me at 5' 9" fine. New tyres, etc. and rides great. The plan was to sell it next year but ... :okay:

$_57.JPG

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Only 5'9'' sounds pretty tall to me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only 5'9" - sheesh that's me.

I ride two 56cm/22 inch old frames and a 54 modern frame.

The 56cm's have a 13cm stem. A 22" should be fine. A 23" will be a bit big though ! I had a 23" and it was a little too big (not enough seat post showing)

I am the same height as DC Lane, my oldies have a higher seat and lower stem. Those bits can be adjusted as body size differs.

21" or 22" old style frame will be fine.

Top Bottom