British trains vs 3rd world trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've knocked about on Indian trains. Yes, they can be very crowded if you buy the cheaper tickets ( and they are cheap ). Unlike the expensive, overcrowded trains here, they actually run on time!

Mr Foldy

The trains are overpriced cattle trucks in Central Scotland. However There can be a camaraderie amongst Cyclists on the trains. I like that.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Weren't those supposed to be a short term solution? I could see how making a train out of a bus body would be okay in short run, but those are in service long past their projected service life.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I hadnt been on a train for over 10 years and then last year I took a train from Edinburgh to Carlisle. It was brillant. The train was very clean, the conductor was a great laugh. The train was empty and we had a carrigeway to ourselves. The scenery was stunning.

It really blew a hole in my story to Jannie that all Brits at home were miserable sods. By the end of the week my theory has been shot down so many times I was waving a White flag.

StuartG

slower but further
Worn out, crap rolling stock seems to be a dominant theme, particularly in the north. The Pacer trains need replacing so badly it's becoming almost embarrassing.
Bad news and learn to luv 'em - Pacers will not be finally retired until 2032. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacer_(train)
The problem basically is the plan is to build no more DMUs but replace them with more modern DMUs displaced by electrification of lines. Oh and HS2 is more important for saving the north from extinction (if you believe the honourable MP for Tatton).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Was in Germany last week. Train on the other platform was 150 minutes late, and my train was over 100 minutes late, so I caught the one 30 minutes later that arrived beforehand.
And no one seemed that shocked or bothered.

snorri

Legendary Member
Was in Germany last week. Train on the other platform was 150 minutes late, and my train was over 100 minutes late,.
Shhhhhh we're not supposed to speak about German inefficiencies, it's a British tradition.

^_^

Brains

Legendary Member
Worn out, crap rolling stock seems to be a dominant theme, particularly in the north. The Pacer trains need replacing so badly it's becoming almost embarrassing.

Not only are they going to keep the Pacer trains going for another couple of decades.
They are also looking at buying the Pacers that were sold to Iran, as they are now replacing theirs.

But even better you can have 1980's rolling stock from the District tube line
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...mind-doors-manchester-commuters-could-8645131
(As they say, no Manchester lines is longer than the District line, end to end, but they are missing a point, no one travels on the District line end to end, they do end to West End)

Top Bottom