Broadband router

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
All sorts of fancy ones you can get for windows.

I prefer using my smartphone and wifi analyser as it's more portable and reflects (no pun intended) that wi-fi isn't time-independent.

I'd try and use your devices on 5GHz if you can.

Marinyork, is there a way to set the devices to 5GH? It looks like it should be faster but all mine are running at 2.4 and I can't see any way to either move them to 5 or set them up on 5?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Marinyork, is there a way to set the devices to 5GH? It loo
ks like it should be faster but all mine are running at 2.4 and I can't see any way to either move them to 5 or set them up on 5?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/...d-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-home

That might be of help. I'd set it up as a separate SSID. Have you done that already?

It might work fine on 2.4GHz. Or there might be a lot of other routers interfering with it. In my house there are anywhere between 2 and 15 other people's internet blasting out 2.4 GHz at various channels depending on location and time. For 5GHz it is just mine, although further down the road there's another one. The 5GHz generally gets the higher speeds despite an obviously lower signal strength by about 7 dBm.

What devices have you got, they definitely all take 5GHz?

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Ive got a desktop, laptop, iphone & pad and a windows phone on the wireless.
Have just set the 5gh band up with a seperate SSID but can't see it on the list of available wifi. Just the 2.4, the range extender and two other systems (neighbours).
Does that mean my wireless card isn't dual band? The laptop is about a year old.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I seem to remember reading that 5 doesn't penetrate walls & floors as well as 2.4 - have you tried detecting it from close up?

Top Bottom