Broadband router

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Ive got the wireless router that came free with my broadband (Plusnet) and although its OK, its not great. Wireless coverage is limited and it does seem to drop out from time time. Just wondering if its worth buying a "better" router to replace it? Anyone have any experience of doing this, and any recommendations for a good one and how easy (or difficult) it is to change them over? Its all a bit of a black hole for me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You can add extra access points and range extenders, some of which, depending on brand, can be hard wired back to the router, using devices that use your house's mains wiring as network cabling.

So what make and model is the router?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Plusnet router does not have a good reputation. I would get yourself a BT Home Hub 5 from ebay. A really excellent bit of kit - google for reviews - whch is easy to set up and works fine with Plusnet (which is after all just rebadged BT). You should be able to get a new one for £25-30 or so.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I've sold a few BT 4 & 5's on eBay and they always fetch good money - normally a good indicator.

I use 5 myself on BT but the set up for other providers doesn't look too complicated.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can add extra access points and range extenders, some of which, depending on brand, can be hard wired back to the router, using devices that use your house's mains wiring as network cabling.

So what make and model is the router?
The router itself drops the incoming signal - it isn't a wifi thing so Powerline adapters are not the answer. My Plusnet router does it about 10 times a week. I still have my old TalkTalk router so I might hook that up and see if that is any better.

It's a pity because the wifi reaches right up to my attic bedroom or out in my back yard, no problem.

I've never had any issues with Netgear routers and these day the Powerline adaptors can also extend your WiFi signal if you need it. If I recall from an acquaintances router, the Plusnet one is pretty cheap and basic.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My PO supplied routers have been shaky from time to time by frequently dropping the connection... i just ring up the PO and tell them to send me a new one. Each time they try to charge me about £30 but i argue that I pay a monthly rental for a working connection and that should include the router which they also provide as part of my fee... so far they've not argued to the contrary (eg. the router was a 'free gift') and have not charged me when they've sent me a replacement router. Of course it's not the best router in the world and the PO will likely source the cheapest they can get, so i don't expect the router to last forever but i don't want to buy my own either.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The router itself drops the incoming signal - it isn't a wifi thing so Powerline adapters are not the answer. My Plusnet router does it about 10 times a week. I still have my old TalkTalk router so I might hook that up and see if that is any better.

It's a pity because the wifi reaches right up to my attic bedroom or out in my back yard, no problem.
Cools beans. In that case what @swee'pea99 and @Crackle have said. Either BT or Netgear. (Currently using BT Home Hub 5)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
does it also have a guest wifi option? i found that turning it on, contrary to expectation, increased speed and range. switch off the ssid of course...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The PlusNet router is not great. We had one for a project at work. The problem was it could only support sixteen wifi devices, and you couldn't do more advanced router stuff, such as assigning ip addresses to devices, or access port forwarding. I replaced it with a more expensive TP-Link Archer C7 router, without realising I should have got a modem router, as the house had an ADSL connection point. Modems are not so easy to find in shops, but I bought a D-Link modem from Amazon, and with that I got the TP-Link router working. Quite a big PITA.

I don't know very much about how this stuff works but we replaced our router last month with the Motorola Arris surfbourd SB6141 and our internet now works like lightning. My wife works in TV and a techie she works with reccommended the model.
Hope that helps.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
You could always buy an ADSL modem, mine is Netgear, and then feed the LAN connection to the router. Personally I have a hardware firewall between the modem feed that to a Netgear wifi router.

OT

I remember coming home one night with no Internet

Tried using the phone without success so Rang BT on the mobile to see if there are any faults

They reported that the line was fine and could not see a fault

Watching the local news it transpired that someone has stolen about 500 m of BT cable

I informed them of this at which point I was told that if there was no line it could not report a fault

Two weeks later we are back online having been rewired to the wrong number twice
Worst of all was being told that we had responsibility for any calls made on our number even though due to their fault someone else was using it!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think the Plusnet one is Technicolour?
The BT Homehub is looking favourite then. Do I need to get any settings from either my old router or my ISP?
TBH it's about 18 months since I did the setup, but I don't recall it as being any great hassle. The hub has built in software which is reasonably intuitive and takes you thru' the setup step by step. If I remember rightly there's even a point in the process where it asks you if this is for BT or another ISP, and even if you say 'another ISP' it still walks you through. Plusnet techies can help too; you just have to factor in the usual 15 minutes before you actually get to talk to anyone.

Top Bottom