Broadgreen to Lime Street to Chester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Massimo

Hi all

I should start working in Chester very soon and decide to carry the bike on the train.

The journey would be:
- 2 miles to Broadgreen by bike
- train to Lime Street
- train to Chester
- just 1 mile to the workplace.

Should I buy a folding bike? Any suggestion about a cheap model but that can last at least 1 year?

My other option is to use my bike (21"), park t at the station and walk the last mile....

Winter is coming and I won't consider to ride 60 miles a day (my longest ride so far has been 62 miles).

Cheers (and thanks)
Massimo

Transferring to miseryrail at lime street will be a bit of a hassle? Why not get a cheap 2nd bike and leave it in Chester (with a large lock).

si_c

Guru
Merseyrail have half decent cycle provision on the train to be honest, provided you get there before someone shoves a pram in.

I'd just ride direct to lime street or central to get the train. Sod a change at lime street, its what 5miles from broad green?

matth411

Veteran
Why not ride straight to Lime Street? Could cut a few pennies off the commute and gives you a longer ride. On Merseyrail trains there are enough spaces if you aren't in the middle of rush hour. Then if the weather is not being nice, which will be soon, go to Broad Green instead.

upandover

Guru
Trains going I to the Wirral tend to be quite empty, as all the traffic goes the other way.

I go from Wavertree to the ferry (which is wonderful), then upto capanhurst where there is an excellent bike locker, and on the chester. There are stations closer though.

On the train you can save money if you get of a couple of stops before Chester and cycle. I'm not sure where, maybe Bache. I mostly go to Ellesmere port and then Chester, so I forget where.

Cheers

Steve

headcoat

Über Member
As people have said, bikes on merseyrail are pretty much well handled. All 3 carriage trains have 4 official bays and 2 disabled bays (which can be used). If these are full you can normally stand in the door way with your bike.

School holidays are usually the worst with kids having been to Chester Zoo, loads of prams and inflatable elephants :smile:

I get off at Capenhurst and ride into chesters, its about 7-8 miles the route I take, canal towpath, cycle paths, country roads, and saves a couple of quid on the train.

OP
OP
Massimo

Massimo

Thank you all. I guess I'll have a try with all the different options but I'm terrified by hordes of kids and prams :banghead:

noodle

Thank you all. I guess I'll have a try with all the different options but I'm terrified by hordes of kids and prams :banghead:
Wear neat black Lycra and big 50's glasses and look hungry for human contact well conversation at first lol
Everyone will give you a wide berth
Camouflage doesn't always have to be green and brown.
I fish and hate the caugh owt mate sort of thing
So I wear stuff that sets me apart and makes me look a bit odd. Radio 4 helps on a radio I've no idea why but the archers music seems to scare so many people:laugh:
Or mp3 headphones so everyone can hear and have some odd music
My current choice is chap hop google professor elemental and mr b the gentleman rhymer
One downside with this is you could end up with some very odd people talking to you steam punks be warned all they do is glue gears on stuff.....
:eek:

Wobblers

Euthermic
As has been said, getting a bike on the Wirral line at Lime Street is a pain - I've hauled a half loaded tourer up the escalators once - never again! There is a lift, but it is s-l-o-w. Make sure you leave plenty of time to catch your train, though at least there's a train every 15 minutes to Chester. There's actually plenty of space for bikes, and you're going against the flow, so finding space isn't likely to be a problem. Certainly when I was travelling from Port Sunlight to Lime Street in the summer, there were plenty of people with bikes and no shortage of space for them during the evening rush hour.

Top Bottom