Broken chain HG53

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Retyred.life

0_IMG-20210831-WA0007_1.jpg

This chain is only three weeks old, less than 700kms! Humid environment - Yucutan and Quitana Roo, Mexico. One week was spent riding close to the shore and salt pans.
I removed the chain earlier today to derust* and clean and only then noticed these radial cracks on the plates (both sides of chain) emanating from the majority of pins.

* I've never seen a modern HG chain rust like this one did. I resorted to soaking it in white vinegar followed by a thorough scrubbing.

Any ideas of cause or did I get a fake Shimano product?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Got to be fake IMO.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Looks like it was used to pull a ship! I would not be happy with that and neither should Shimano be, if they did indeed manufacture it. Did you buy it off internet? Perhaps send some information (and pics) to Shimano, see what they come back with.

OP
OP
Retyred.life

Retyred.life

Purchased from Benotto (a national retailer here in Mexico) shop in Merida. Came in full retail packaging*.
HG53 is 9, HG40 is 8 speed. Different design parameters.
Paid cash and have no proof of purchase. Benotto completely ignored my emails, I'm not expecting more from Shimano Mexico to be honest.
* I could have bought 'this' chain at a 20% discount from smaller taller de bicicletas (bicycle repairers dealing with the lower end of the market) but these were in unmarked plastic bags.

Replacement is KMC X9. Holding thumbs.

This post looks helpful: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/broken-chain-link.258433/ although worse than yours, you do have so many cracks that it seems to be relevant. :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's shocking. Either a fake or a very bad batch. Either way I imagine Shimano might be interested, even if this doesn't get you your money back. The quick rusting suggests substandard materials too, either the metal or the lubricant or both.

I had a browse around for pictures of HG53 from various retailers. To be honest there's not sufficient difference to say "obviously a fake". It's very similar.

Good luck with your new chain.

OP
OP
Retyred.life

Retyred.life

I contacted Shimano Mexico and received this reply ". . . unless we receive the chain for inspection we are unable to comment."

I'm not wasting more money on what is undoubtedly a fake.

Benotto, the retailer, haven't responded at all!

Top Bottom