Broken Chain

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Sambu, 25 Apr 2010.

1. Sambu

Sambu Active Member

Went for a little spin last night to stretch my legs after a day in the library. Just as i was turning into my road my chain ping'd off! snapped in half. im planning to go up to Edin BIke Coop on monday afternoon to get a new one fitted. My question, is there anyting i need to know about what i get put on? i know they'll know what there doing but im a bit in the dark about chains lol.

Cheers

2. Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy New Member

You just need to know what speed chain to get, for example mine is 8-speed, just count how many sprockets you have at the back, and that is what speed chain you will need.

There is probably more to it, but that is pretty much the simplest way of choosing which chain you want.

3. OP
    OP
    Sambu

Sambu Active Member

well that's a nine speed then, what difference in quality etc do you get with the price range in chains between sat £10 and £30?

4. bigjim

bigjim Guru

You may need to change the cassette. A new chain is liable to start jumping around if the cassette has a few miles in it.

5. OP
    OP
    Sambu

Sambu Active Member

Don't say that!! how much does a new cassette cost?

6. amaferanga

amaferanga Veteran

Unless your cassette is very worn then there's probably no need to change it. One cassette should do at least 2 or 3 chains provided you change your chain before its worn too much. Best thing to do (and this is what any good LBS should recommend) is to just replace the chain and see how you go. If it skips then your cassette is past it and you'll have to then change that as well.

Best place to buy chains and cassettes is CRC. Cheaper than most other places.

7. OP
    OP
    Sambu

Sambu Active Member

cheers il see what they say. it doesn't seem oo warn. whist browsing CRC i noticed a Cube Peloton in the 'SALE' reduced from £949 to.. wait for it... £948.99!!!!!! whats the deal lol?

8. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

Per CRC it only weighs 1400g - bargain!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=30568

Actually it has a 105 groupset and almost decent wheels which is a lot better than the 2010 £750 models.

9. OP
    OP
    Sambu

Sambu Active Member

i know but its reduced by 1p!!!!

10. Davidc

Davidc Guru

I used to measure chains with a ruler but recently bought a Park Tools chain wear tool which shows when the chain is 75% and 100% worn out and is a doddle to use.

I've always replaced chains well before they're completely shot, and the rest of the transmission has never done less than 10000 miles, sometimes 5 or 6 chains.

(I'm told that 9 & 10 speed kit doesn't last as well - I've never been over 8 speed)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice