Broken collar bone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
There you go ! Happy healing !
IMAG0522_zps6ee83bc7.jpg

0lonerider

Veteran
ouch! get well soon.
hope ya bikes ok.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Shall we start an x ray thread ?
Lol. How did you find physio after yours? I seem to be getting a fair bit of pain deep in the shoulder and some clicking/grinding. I am wondering if I have some rotator cuff injury too or if this is normal and just scar tissue breaking up. Seeing surgeon on Friday anyway and will disuss.

clid61

Veteran
Lol. How did you find physio after yours? I seem to be getting a fair bit of pain deep in the shoulder and some clicking/grinding. I am wondering if I have some rotator cuff injury too or if this is normal and just scar tissue breaking up. Seeing surgeon on Friday anyway and will disuss.

My physio showed me things to do, and I did them, I function ! . Get twinges, numbness , clicking , grinding ,stabbing pain ., but hey ho thats life ! nowt a large glass red wont cure lol .

Its all about ones attitude to an injury really , Im in the school of pick yourself up dust yourself down and carry on, works for me !

Keith Oates

Janner
I broke mine in July 2012 and was off the bike for three months although on the turbo in 10 days. After taking out the pins I was still in pain quite often and could not sleep so well. Now the pain from the break has gone but I still have some pain from the ligaments but can do most things although a morning exercise routine before going to work helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyclist33

Hello to all. First of all I have to say the site is terrific. I got my 1st bike 4weeks ago (a road bike) as I had,nt cycled for years I wanted to know what kinds of things I should take with me on a run.the info I received was very helpful. Amongst other things it was suggested I take a cell phone with me. This was a great idea as only 3 weeks into my cycling I came off the bike at a fair speed. And as well as a lot of cuts and bruises I have also recieved a broken collar bone. Ouch. Although it was a week ago and I am still in a lot of pain I miss going out on the bike already.can anyone tell me the recovery time before I can go back out on the bike again. Cheers.

Ouch! indeed. I broke mine in a bike-related Doh three years ago. It was 10 weeks before I was allowed to ride again, and not on drop handlebars.

Mind you I had a comminuted fracture which means the bone was fragmented/ground up, and I had no surgery, so that may have taken longer to heal.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Ouch! indeed. I broke mine in a bike-related Doh three years ago. It was 10 weeks before I was allowed to ride again, and not on drop handlebars.

Mind you I had a comminuted fracture which means the bone was fragmented/ground up, and I had no surgery, so that may have taken longer to heal.
Must admit, I've been a bit shocked at how long it takes to heal and how weak the shoulder feels. I had originally thought of trying to cycle after about 8 weeks but it isn't looking like it and I don't want to take any chances.

Cyclist33

Yeah, body knows best (and the doc!) - don't rush. You've the rest of your life to cycle again but not if you mess it up by going out too soon!

After a couple of weeks of physio they declared me of sound shoulder but said ride flatbar and not off-road. A few days later I popped tentatively out to the local grocery (half a mile), and 15 miles later I felt great!

So it will heal, just take your time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A turbo trainer in the garage is always handy if you want to keep fitness levels up. Used mine when my wrist was broken and when I'd had a shoulder op, but I was back on the bike on the road after two weeks with a shoulder op (no broken bones). I've 'lent' my turbo out, so currently only have rollers, which aren't a great idea if you can't hold a bike properly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must admit, I've been a bit shocked at how long it takes to heal and how weak the shoulder feels. I had originally thought of trying to cycle after about 8 weeks but it isn't looking like it and I don't want to take any chances.

Shoulders are complicated and the muscle damage takes time. My surgeon told me I'd probably have suffered less muscle damage if I'd broken a bone,but in my case the muscles took the damage (as well as needing some drilling in the shoulder joint)

I broke mine on the first day of a 6,000+ km tour in 2005. :blush::laugh:

I was back in the saddle four weeks later and managed a shortened tour of 4,000+ km.

I was lucky, though, as mine didn't need pinning.

Only problem was/is that my left shoulder is an inch or so shorter than the right side, due to not being put in a brace properly.

I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Crikey, it sounds like I got off quite well. After I'd had the 2nd op to remove my plate I've had very little pain, although it occasionally gets stiff if I've lay on it for a while. (paging @Fnaar) I've not had to have any extensive physio at all. While, at 45 I'm not Methuselah, I'm no spring chicken either so I guess I am just lucky.
I hope the OP has a quick and easy recovery and it hasn't put him off riding.

OP
OP
B

Bobcat40

Thanks to everyone who has shared their pain with me, and all the good wishes I have recieved. The accident certainly has not put me off, but, unfortunatley it is going to be the winter before I can get out again.which is a shame as my derrière was just getting used to the saddle. I think I will have to start dropping hints to my wife for a turbo trainer for my birthday. Here's hoping.

Top Bottom