Broken collar bone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi,

How sore is a broken collar bone?. Had an off yeterday due to some mother f****r in a truck who puhed me on to the gravel at the side of the road. Left shoulder hurting when I lift it and the bone i sore when touched but I am not in agony.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers Col

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Have it x-rayed immediately.

Will1985

Über Member
First off, sorry to hear that. If you managed to get the numberplate you should try and pursue the driver through the police and CTC/BC solicitors.

A broken collar bone is intensely painful. Often there is a new lump in your shoulder which is the broken bone (get someone else to compare both sides). You wouldn't want to move it at all - when the pros do it, you will see them holding their elbow close to their body to prevent any movement.

You should probably get it checked out regardless. Any muscular pain?

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Thank for the quick reply!

No chance of getting the reg unfortunatelty! I was doing around 22-25mph ended up flat out on the pavement thankfully!

I have just called NHS 24 so waiting for them to call me back, so hopefully get an xray today. The muscle above my collar bone is tender but not agony!

The crap thing is that I am off to berwick on tweed tomorrow with my wife and kids for a wee holiday, so no swimming for me! I dont think my road rash can with stand the pain!!

Cheers again

Col

Pretty sore is the answer. I recently smacked my collarbone quite hard when running. I tripped and hit the arm of a teak chair in the garden, collarbone first. Big impact, lots of bruiing, very sore and swollen and couldn't touch it but it wasn't broken. After doing that, I now realize how much force must be involved in a break but you doing 22mph is a bit different. I'd also say get it checked just to be sure.

Fine now but I forgot to say it took about a week for the soreness and bruising to go and even now there's still some tenderness.

yenrod

I feel you'll know if its broke - you wont be able to move it and if you do = the pain will be tremendous !

I know ive done it.

doodles

Will1985 said:
You wouldn't want to move it at all - when the pros do it, you will see them holding their elbow close to their body to prevent any movement.

It definately ain't just the pro's that hold their elbows, I held my my elbow to stop my arm moving around cos it was bloody painful. Needed a plate and 6 screws to put the bits back together. That was a few years ago now and I still have a big lump on it.

Get yourself down to A&E and get it checked out

I broke mine three years ago and was out of action for a month immediately before setting off on a 7-week trip.

I was lucky that I only had a break that didn't need screws, although it did hurt like hell at first, but eased after 3-4 days.

My left collar bone is an inch shorter than the other side, but, again, I'm lucky as I am not impaired in any movement.

Hope you heal quickly. :becool:

Big John

Guru
X-ray, no question, but sounds like a bad bruise as a break hurts like hell. Even if it's broken the good news is they heal to the point where you can't remember which side you broke. Worst thing is trying to get some decent sleep!

Bodhbh

Guru
colcazal said:
Hi,

How sore is a broken collar bone?. Had an off yeterday due to some mother f****r in a truck who puhed me on to the gravel at the side of the road. Left shoulder hurting when I lift it and the bone i sore when touched but I am not in agony.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers Col
I broke mine falling off a bike years ago, I don't think it's obvious at first you've broke something unlike some bones (took me 2 days to go to the hospital). Just this feeling that something is loose, like a credit card is flexing about up there. Get it x-rayed, but not like they put it in plaster anyhow, just tell you to keep the weight off it for so long.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Had it xrayd yesterday. Collar bone ok, damaged my AC bone. (The bone that connects collar bone to shoulder) Got sling and told to take it easy. should make a full recovery! so please with that.

Road rash hurts like hell though and general all over body soreness.

Just checked my bike and it seems like I came off the worst! only has a scratched left shifter and damaged rear wheel quick release. The pedal is pretty mashed but thats fine as it seems to have protected the frame, not a scratch! so all in all I was well lucky considering the bike is only 6 weeks old.

Thanks again for all the support! Off for a 5 day break so hopefully I will be back riding soon!

Cheers,

Col

Top Bottom