broken leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gonzo

:living in the valleys,mountainous etc,was up to oround 250 miles a week inc big climbs,ive recently broke my leg,gonna be out for bout 10 weeks ,would the use of a turbo trainer help before i get back on the bike again when ready..any advise would be greatfull thanks...sad welshman... ;)

maurice

:living in the valleys,mountainous etc,was up to oround 250 miles a week inc big climbs,ive recently broke my leg,gonna be out for bout 10 weeks ,would the use of a turbo trainer help before i get back on the bike again when ready..any advise would be greatfull thanks...sad welshman... ;)

Think you're just going to have to be patient. I appreciate it's frustrating, I had a complicated collarbone break a couple years ago that took care of most of my summer. However your body needs all the energy it can get to repair that leg, and if you damage the leg again before it's fully fixed you're in trouble big-time.

Remember it's a lot faster to get to a previous level of fitness than someone who hasn't been there before, it will come back fairly quick.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome.

You need to rest after an injury like that, as its all too easy to add setbacks to the healing process by resuming activities too early. That said, I'd feel more confident riding a turbo than taking a bike out onto the roads when easing myself back into it. After all, a turbo is only ever 5 seconds from home. You're not likely to run into anything. You're not likely to find yourself needing to pull away in the wrong gear, or on an unexpected climb.

On the flip side, turbos can be boring as hell, and the satisfaction of making a good whirring noise is probably NOT why you ride :smile:

OP
OP
G

gonzo

Welcome.

You need to rest after an injury like that, as its all too easy to add setbacks to the healing process by resuming activities too early. That said, I'd feel more confident riding a turbo than taking a bike out onto the roads when easing myself back into it. After all, a turbo is only ever 5 seconds from home. You're not likely to run into anything. You're not likely to find yourself needing to pull away in the wrong gear, or on an unexpected climb.

On the flip side, turbos can be boring as hell, and the satisfaction of making a good whirring noise is probably NOT why you ride :smile:

OP
OP
G

gonzo

Think you're just going to have to be patient. I appreciate it's frustrating, I had a complicated collarbone break a couple years ago that took care of most of my summer. However your body needs all the energy it can get to repair that leg, and if you damage the leg again before it's fully fixed you're in trouble big-time.

Remember it's a lot faster to get to a previous level of fitness than someone who hasn't been there before, it will come back fairly quick.

mountainrider

I am not convinced there is any need.
If you can ride the turbo then you can ride the bike. I used one to retain fitness whilst enduring a broken collarbone but then I could not ride a bike due to my injury.
Just go out and ride on flat roads or at least in low gears on the smaller hills if you have no flat roads! You'll soon be back to fitness.

Top Bottom