Broken rear hanger - what should I check?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Lots of things to keep me busy this weekend.

Will definitely check chain for damage. Length should be correct as I have always kept to the same number of links. Cassette is the same size as originally supplied. The chain ended up in-between the largest sprocket of the cassette and the plastic spoke saver but this may have been a result of the breakage rather than the cause. It wasn't jammed in though and I could easily pull it out by hand. Chain had also come off the lower jockey wheel and came to rest beside it. Again, not jammed in, but I will check to see what the damage is.

Not had a real close look at the spokes yet, but there aren't any broken ones. I think the plastic disc has done its job.

Cassette needs a bit of a clean so will make sure there's no damage.

I don't think I have ever adjusted the limit screws because they have always seemed to be adjusted correctly. Definitely one of the things to check when the new hanger is on.

As I said in the original post, the hanger broke when I was just starting out. I would have been on the small chain ring and probably 3rd or 4th gear at the rear so I'm fairly certain that tangling with the spokes isn't the cause of the failure.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Took a bit of searching but found it.
It was bikes from 2014, but it was more due to wheel slip rather then failure.

Hanger thread
Thanks @ianrauk. This is interesting because I could have been suffering from this too. Mine is a 2016 (I think) Pinnacle rather than an Arkose though. If "slip" means that the rear wheel slips sideways, almost as if the QR was not done up tightly, then this is definitely something that has happened every now and then. Felt as though the rear brake was on constantly, but it was the tyre rubbing against the frame. Easily noticeable and quickly fixed by releasing the QR and doing it up again properly.

si_c

Guru
Thanks @ianrauk. This is interesting because I could have been suffering from this too. Mine is a 2016 (I think) Pinnacle rather than an Arkose though. If "slip" means that the rear wheel slips sideways, almost as if the QR was not done up tightly, then this is definitely something that has happened every now and then. Felt as though the rear brake was on constantly, but it was the tyre rubbing against the frame. Easily noticeable and quickly fixed by releasing the QR and doing it up again properly.

If that happened when you were shifting into the largest sprocket then it could be the cause of the snapped derailleur hanger if it caused the derailleur to hit the spokes. Also worth going around the drivetrain and inspecting it carefully for wear and damage.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Had a good look at everything this morning.
All spokes are OK, but the plastic protector disc has split. Trying to decide if I should get a replacement or just go without.
RD is toast. It's split where it fits to the hanger (see pic). Will replace the gear cable too as this is close to needing to be replaced.
Cassette in undamaged so that can stay.
Chain feels odd. I can't feel any stiff links or see any damage, but several places along the length can bend sideways much more than others. Will fit a new one to be on the safe side.
Bits ordered today. Guess what I'm going to be doing over Easter.
037.JPG

Top Bottom