Broken spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I've managed to break a titanium spectacle frame :sad:💪
It doesn't matter, as I have a spare pair and I'm collecting new ones in a week or so anyway, but I thought they were unbreakable in normal conditions.
Has anyone else managed to do this?

The blob on the end of the broken arm is because I tried to superglue it back on. No chance.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I've managed to break a titanium spectacle frame :sad:💪
It doesn't matter, as I have a spare pair and I'm collecting new ones in a week or so anyway, but I thought they were unbreakable in normal conditions.
Has anyone else managed to do this?

The blob on the end of the broken arm is because I tried to superglue it back on. No chance.

View attachment 612601
ouch....yes, I've done that twice. Both times put them in my trouser pocket and sat down to a cracking noise. First time I was a bit cross, second time I couldn't believe how stupid I'd been.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I snapped my titanium frames in two places when i was working on my car. I stood on them when i forget i put them on the floor 👌

OP
OP
Asa Post

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Failures due to stupidity carelessness unfortunate circumstances I can understand, but mine broke as I was taking them off. No rough treatment at any time.
There are no hinges on the arms, the flexibility of the metal is enough to fold them - but I never do. When not on my nose they live on a table, so the frames have had minimal stress.
The lack of reports of similar breakages suggests that this is a rare event. I hope so, because the new spectacles have identical frames.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Failures due to stupidity carelessness unfortunate circumstances I can understand, but mine broke as I was taking them off. No rough treatment at any time.
There are no hinges on the arms, the flexibility of the metal is enough to fold them - but I never do. When not on my nose they live on a table, so the frames have had minimal stress.
The lack of reports of similar breakages suggests that this is a rare event. I hope so, because the new spectacles have identical frames.
Not all of mine have succumbed - I've been wearing them since their launch many years ago (a couple have, IIRC)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Like you mine broke for no apparent reason. I suspect the advertised strength of Titanium is under "best conditions". I've broken chunky Titanium bits on saddles on the bike. In those cases it was clear from the break that the parts had been cast. So not full strength at all. Without a microscope you'd be hard pressed to examine the breakages on small bit of spectacle frame in order to diagnose the whole affair. They aren't "strong" just light I'm afraid.

My springy ti frames broke at the nose bridge when I was on holiday. Unrepairable except with special micro welding machine. I did locate one but the fix was too expensive.
Ti is unrepairable. Steel or other metal is brazable by some guy in a small workshop in most cities.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Having dredged my memory (and looked in my spectacles drawer - doesn't everyone have one :smile: ), one pair went at the bridge, and one where yours have. They are both stress points, I think.

...but many more haven't broken, of course.

I'm still wearing titans, albeit these have plastic lens surrounds and ti folding arms - but the nose bridge flexes alarmingly on these, so who knows what their longevity will be, I'm only 6-7 months in. :ohmy:

Top Bottom