Broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Spoke replaced, other spokes tightened, wheel trued and new rear gear cable (frayed) fitted for £20.
That's good value!

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

It was a guy I found on Google who lives about 2 streets from me who did it. He offers a one man repair and maintenance service. He looks to have a cracking wee setup and had a few other bikes in getting worked on.

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
I'm glad you got it sorted. I'd have rebuilt the wheel, but then I do my own.
Usually if one spoke goes, more spokes start to snap.
It does depend how well the wheel was built in the first place.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I’m already looking at upgrading the wheels anyway. The bike now has covered approx 1800 miles so maybe I’ll splurge on new wheels once the bike is 2000+ miles.

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
Find a good wheel builder and treat yourself to some nice hand built wheels. I'm sure someone on here can recommend a builder based on your location^_^

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I was looking at Vel 50 RL from Sigma Sports.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What Ming said. One broken spoke is a sign of a poorly built wheel (only one or several/more spokes) and another is likely to follow (break), as the Cat implies. But the local guy you found has tightened it up and trued it/them. The wheels will likely last for tens of thousands of miles.
What was your previous bike and what wheels did you roll, Tommo?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your tightened and trued wheels will be great. Consider replacing the rubber on them: I had a poor experience with Giant tyres on a bike I bought with them on. Front failed (bulging sidewall, for no apparent reason) and I stupidly didn't replace the rear at the same time. Predictably it threatened to fail 1000km later (bulge started to brush brake caliper): inconveniently after closing time at about 160km with an hour to get 'home'.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I’ve already changed out the rear tyre for a Gatorskin and I have another to replace the front when the time comes.

Top Bottom