Broken Wrist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

minimba

Regular
Hi All

I broke two bones in my wrist 5 weeks ago but Im hopeful that the cast will be off next week. Can anyone advise how long (if at all) I should wait before going out on a ride - even a short one!!

Im chomping at the bit...!

Thanks - anyone got a knitting needle - itchy!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You should be OK, but ask the physio. I was back on my bike 2-3 weeks after a shoulder decompression, but took it steady.

It will be sore and it will be weak from lack of use, so take it easy.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi All

I broke two bones in my wrist 5 weeks ago but Im hopeful that the cast will be off next week. Can anyone advise how long (if at all) I should wait before going out on a ride - even a short one!!

Im chomping at the bit...!

Thanks - anyone got a knitting needle - itchy!!!!

DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM ANYONE HERE: speak to the doctor when they take the cast off

Assuming you would speak to a doctor/nurse then my advice would be... Only you know! It's your arm, Doctors will only give an safe average based on the experience of others. Using the wrist will be sore regardless of what you do. Going nuts at the beginning will however slow the recovery process down.

OP
OP
minimba

minimba

Regular
Assuming you would speak to a doctor/nurse then my advice would be... Only you know! It's your arm, Doctors will only give an safe average based on the experience of others. Using the wrist will be sore regardless of what you do. Going nuts at the beginning will however slow the recovery process down.

Yeah - thats what Im worried about - been out of action for a few weeks because of an operation then fell/slipped and did my wrist so its been about 10 weeks since Ive been out - desperate to get 'back in the saddle' as they say!! Patience, patience... :stop:

OP
OP
minimba

minimba

Regular
I'd have been riding whilst still in pot

Yeah - me too if Id not also had a hysterectomy!!!!!! My partner threatened to take the wheels off my bike. Incidentally - he also hid my diving regs!!!!!!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You should be fine to cycle once your wrist is out of plaster (but do check with the doctor for specific advice)
Don't be surprised if you find your wrist aches considerably for a month or two and with this in mind, it is worth considering altering height and angle of your handlebars to reduce weight on your wrist when cycling. It may also be helpful to adjust the brake position to reduce wrist flexion. While on the subject of brakes, check that you can achieve a full emergency stop.

To be honest, I am more surprised that you are planning to cycle so soon after your hysterectomy - so I hope you discussed this with your surgeon?

billy92

I have also recently broke my 5th metacraple and fractured my 3rd aswell. My cast came off 3 days ago and my suggestions is that you will know when you can safely ride again. It should be fine as long as there is no discomfort and as long as you have enough strength in the hand to use the brakes properly etc.

I was advised to do no sport for 8 weeks after i think that applied to "competitive sport" a bit more than cycling

Top Bottom