Brompton 2nd gear sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BromBrom

Hi,

I’ve been having my first Brompton 6 speed now for about a month and I’m kind of hearing some weard noices from the hub when it’s on its second gear. Gears are shifting fine and nothing else (slipping etc.) is bothering me. I tried to adjust the gear wire but can’t get the sound go away, so it’s probably nothing serious, just want to be sure. The sound is somewhat inconsistent and not clean on the 2nd gear versus consistent and clean on 3th. I even made a youtube chanel to get a video available...

View: https://youtu.be/7iecej_f2ME

CXRAndy

Guru
Im not familiar with IGH but if its so new take it back for assessment. Maybe it needs more lubrication?

My wife's bike has an Nexus 8 hub which was poor shifting from new. I decided to open it up, because comments by experienced users said there is little grease or lubrication inside from new. I added semi fluid grease to the assy and it improved the shifting and became alot smoother.

Reactions: C R

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I got the Brompton 9 Streets in October last year. 6 speed. My first hub geared bike. Like yours it changes gear fine but makes all sorts of noises and clicks.

3000km later it still runs fine.

I would not bother about, if there are no obvious faults and it runs correctly. Just mention it when you take it in for its initial service, where they will tell you that is what it is supposed to sound like.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The internals of any SA hub rattle most in 2nd. The modern ones that can't slip also have an extra set of pawls and a kind of metal shroud to trip them out as required - this can rattle insufferably. More of the special grease helps but you'd need to open it up.

CXRAndy

Guru
The internals of any SA hub rattle most in 2nd. The modern ones that can't slip also have an extra set of pawls and a kind of metal shroud to trip them out as required - this can rattle insufferably. More of the special grease helps but you'd need to open it up.

I came across a thread saying that, more semi fluid grease. Penrite do small bottles of it @Amazon.

The more experience d. IGH mix their own SFG

Top Bottom