Brompton Bike questionnaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bromptonproject

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a project to make Brompton bikes better, or find an alternative.
So I've made a questionnaire for people who own the bike so we can find out what needs to be changed.
If people have experience with the Brompton, any input would be schweet.

What is your gender? (M/F)
What is your age?
How tall are you? (for seat/handlebar)
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle?
On a scale of 0-10, how easy is folding your Brompton?
On a scale of 0-10, how comfortable is your Brompton:
A. On long journeys
B. On short rides
What do you use your Brompton for?
How often do your ride your Brompton?
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale)
Have you ever had your Brompton repaired?
If so,
-How easy was the process?
-How long did the company take?
-How much did it cost? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale, where 0 is free and 10 is the cost of the bike)
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many?
-If no, do you think they are necessary?
Where do you store your Brompton?
A. At home
B. At work (or other location)
If you would improve an aspect of the bike, what would it be?

Thanks guys :tongue:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Hey guys, I'm currently working on a project to make Brompton bikes better, or find an alternative.
So I've made a questionnaire for people who own the bike so we can find out what needs to be changed.

What is your gender? (M/F) M
What is your age? 45
How tall are you? (for seat/handlebar) 5'7"
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle? Very
On a scale of 0-10, how easy is folding your Brompton? 7
A. On long journeys 6
B. On short rides 7
What do you use your Brompton for? Mixed mode transport with train, cycling to work
How often do your ride your Brompton? These days about once a fortnight
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale) It's expensive
If so,
-How easy was the process? - had to be returned to factory
-How long did the company take? - a week
-How much did it cost? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale, where 0 is free and 10 is the cost of the bike) free
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many? 3
-If no, do you think they are necessary? yes
A. At home - yes
Make it lighter. Move handlebars further away from saddle. Make it easier to repair rear punctures. Make it less flexy.

[QUOTE 2090126, member: 45"]Have you thought about also consulting those who considered a Brompton and then went with something else? You're as likely to get good info from them as from owners.[/quote]

Not really....

Brommyboy

Über Member
What is your gender? (M/F)M
What is your age?67
How tall are you? (for seat/handlebar)5'7" Standard seat post, maximum extent, M bars
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle?Yes, on my third
On a scale of 0-10, how easy is folding your Brompton? Very
A. On long journeys 10
B. On short rides10
What do you use your Brompton for?Cycle-camping touring/shopping
How often do your ride your Brompton?fairly regularly
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale)Good value
Have you ever had your Brompton repaired?Do my own repairs
If so,
-How much did it cost? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale, where 0 is free and 10 is the cost of the bike)
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many?6 speed
A. At home indoors
If you would improve an aspect of the bike, what would it be?Not much needed to be changed - like it as it is.
Over to you

Davidsw8

What is your gender? M
What is your age? 40
How tall are you? 5' 11"
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle? Very, now
On a scale of 0-10, how easy is folding your Brompton? 9 (v rarely I'll forget which order I'm supposed to do the folding...)
A. On long journeys - 9
B. On short rides - 9
What do you use your Brompton for? Commuting
How often do your ride your Brompton? Twice a day, 5 days a week
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale) 8 (i.e. very expensive) compared to other bikes - 0 (i.e. peanuts) compared to a London TravelCard.
Have you ever had your Brompton repaired? No
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many? Yes, 3
A. At home - Behind the front door
B. At work (or other location) - Under my desk
If you would improve an aspect of the bike, what would it be? Can't think of anything...

What is your gender? (M/F)
What is your age?
How tall are you? (for seat/handlebar)
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle?
A. On long journeys
B. On short rides
What do you use your Brompton for?
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale)
If so,
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many?
A. At home

Sorry, I don't see how the replies to any of the questions you've asked can help identify any changes (unless you are going to suggest I change my gender, height or the capacity of my wallet) so I'm not going to bother to answer other than to say I really like my Bromptons and there is very little I would change on them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brompton's hub/mini-derailleur gear set-up is a bit cranky, so a modern multi-speed hub makes sense.

I don't buy Brompton's claim of extra resistance.

Fitting such a hub would also allow belt drive - ideal for a folder, even one where the oily bits are folded in the middle.

OP
OP
B

bromptonproject

Thanks very much for the reply guys. Any other Brompton riders watching the thread, feel free to submit one in the next few days

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
First folder was a Brompton, brought a Dahon recently to replace it, next folder will be a tern.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
While I had a Brompton there were very few things I would've changed. It could've done with better brakes but Bromptons now do have better brakes. I put a smaller chainring on it but I could've had that done at point of sale. Does the folding pedal still overfold and ding the frame? I expect this has been fixed by now anyway.

Mine was a 3 speed, no issues with gearing- but I tend to get on with most bike arrangements assuming a reasonable degree of quality and reliability. I found it uncomfortable after about 40 miles however (1) I rarely cycled more than 10 at a time and usually much less and (2) I could've made some modifications like perhaps a Brooks saddle and some stubby bar ends or something- I didn't because it wasn't necessary for my usage.

StuartG

slower but further
What is your gender? (M/F) M
What is your age? 63
How tall are you? (for seat/handlebar) 5'9" 32" inside leg. Standard post fits perfectly fully extended.
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle? For 6 years
On a scale of 0-10, how easy is folding your Brompton? 10
A. On long journeys 10
B. On short rides 10 (with Brooks saddle)
What do you use your Brompton for? Everything, shops to London/Paris
How often do your ride your Brompton? Almost daily
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale) 9
Have you ever had your Brompton repaired? Minor stuff
If so,
-How easy was the process?Very, nearest dealer is 3 miles away
-How long did the company take? 24 hours
-How much did it cost? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale, where 0 is free and 10 is the cost of the bike) 5
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many? 3 (changed to smaller chain ring - should be standard)
A. At home Yes
B. At work (or other location) elsewhere I keep it with me. Less worry than locking a road bike.
If you would improve an aspect of the bike, what would it be? Smaller chainring. I would go for 6 speed next time. I also fitted one sided SPDs so I can use ordinary shoes/clothes for the shops and be lycra man for distance riding.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
What is your gender? (M)
What is your age? 52
How tall are you? about 5' 9" but don't draw too many saddle/bars conclusions - proportions vary a lot.
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle? Owned for 13yrs
On a scale of 0-10, how easy is folding your Brompton? 9 if easy scores high (o/wise 1)
On a scale of 0-10, how comfortable is your Brompton: qualified as above
A. On long journeys 7 (regret not getting P bars)
B. On short rides 9 (M bar perfect)
What do you use your Brompton for? Commuting. Goes to station in car, ride from car park to station building then from Euston to Lincoln's Inn.
How often do your ride your Brompton? All working days - say 220pa
How do you feel about the price of your bike? (can also be done on a 0-10 scale) PAid c£800 in 2009 - OK value
If so,
-How easy was the process? Not by Brompton
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many? Recent one is M6R, original bought 1999 is M5L. Later model is best but three speeds not enough range.
A. At home In garage or in car's boot
B. At work (or other location) Under desk or at off site meetings in cloaks space. On train between seat backs, in vestibule or on luggage rack.
If you would improve an aspect of the bike, what would it be? It's OK as is given the current range of versions.

jennywren

What is your gender? (M/F) I'm a lady
What is your age? I'm retired
How tall are you?
(for seat/handlebar) 5' 7''
Are you familiar with the Brompton Bicycle? very
A. On long journeys 5
B. On short rides 7
What do you use your Brompton for? rides that involve car or bus
a lot in summer, less in winter
How do you feel about the price of your bike?
(can also be done on a 0-10 scale) 5
Have you ever had your Brompton repaired? yesIf so,
-How easy was the process? I managed to persuade my local bike shop to be a Brompton dealer, so he repairs it for me, and it is fine.
-How long did the company take? n/a
Can't remember, but I was a Sustrans volunteer at the time and so I got a 10% discount
Is your Brompton geared? If so, how many? 6-If no, do you think they are necessary?
Where do you store your Brompton?A. At home in the garage
B. At work (or other location) I used to store it inside in a corner, where it would not obstruct
If you would improve an aspect of the bike, what would it be?The handlebar height...I'd love to be able raise the handlebars for a more comfortable position
I wish the bike was lighter to carry.
Wider range of gearing.

Without doubt, the best thing about the Brompton is the fold and the convenience of stowing it. The ride is good around town and on the flat and on shortish rides. When all is said and done, I wouldn't be without it.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The only changes I wanted was bar height...which they did and make the m bars wider, so I can fit my farking big fat hands on the grip area instead of having to change the levers and fit ergons.

The ergons hang over by an inch and half either side and don't interfere with the folding.

Top Bottom