Brompton Bike questionnaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The grips supplied on my 2010 Brompton wouldn't have looked out of place on a £99 mail order bike.

I've replaced them with some fairly rigid ordinary grips which are not pushed fully home - it's bought me an extra inch of bar width either side.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There's plenty of alternatives out there already and depending on your terrain and requirement of fold v ride capability some that are already improved over a Brompton. I've tried and borrowed Brommys several times but never been grabbed enough to want to give up my Birdy for them.

OP: Give us a clue, what sort of improvements have you in mind and what perceived defects have you identified in the Brompton that cannot / haven't been solved by other makers.
Your opening post also suggests you have no idea that other folders / manufacturers exist. Please can you share your experience and understanding of this sector of the biking market.

jennywren

There's plenty of alternatives out there already and depending on your terrain and requirement of fold v ride capability some that are already improved over a Brompton. I've tried and borrowed Brommys several times but never been grabbed enough to want to give up my Birdy for them.

OP: Give us a clue, what sort of improvements have you in mind and what perceived defects have you identified in the Brompton that cannot / haven't been solved by other makers.
Your opening post also suggests you have no idea that other folders / manufacturers exist. Please can you share your experience and understanding of this sector of the biking market.

What would you say are the strengths of the Birdy over the Brompton?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
What would you say are the strengths of the Birdy over the Brompton?
primarily its rideability, gearing, greater adjustability for rider size, the suspension works better and it is more comfortable and rideable over longer distances or times.

It is a bike designed to be ridden that can also fold rather than a bike designed to fold that can also be ridden.

jennywren

You could say the same of a Pinerello Dogma vs a Giant Defy.

???

jennywren

primarily its rideability, gearing, greater adjustability for rider size, the suspension works better and it is more comfortable and rideable over longer distances or times.

It is a bike designed to be ridden that can also fold rather than a bike designed to fold that can also be ridden.

Hmmm....I'll have to get my hands on one sometime and try it out.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hmmm....I'll have to get my hands on one sometime and try it out.
Shame you're so far away from me in Manc land. I'd be happy to oblige. I had a Brompton from a lad near me a couple of months back for a few days test ride and left him my birdy as collateral. He loved it & I didn't buy the Brommy.

jennywren

Shame you're so far away from me in Manc land. I'd be happy to oblige. I had a Brompton from a lad near me a couple of months back for a few days test ride and left him my birdy as collateral. He loved it & I didn't buy the Brommy.

Kind thought, thank you....I'm going to call in at a bike shop in Ironbridge in a couple of weeks and book a test ride on one!

Top Bottom