Brompton brake pads / shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Will need some replacements sooner or later and might as well keep an eye out for any bargain while the current ones last.

So... what are people using? Are we seeing any difference between different brands / cheap and expensive in terms of stopping ability, modulation, rim and pad wear etc..?

Irritatingly just missed out on some dirt-cheap Lifeline items on CRC, having decisively placed an order..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Will need some replacements sooner or later and might as well keep an eye out for any bargain while the current ones last.

So... what are people using? Are we seeing any difference between different brands / cheap and expensive in terms of stopping ability, modulation, rim and pad wear etc..?

Irritatingly just missed out on some dirt-cheap Lifeline items on CRC, having decisively placed an order..

I’m still on the original, but I’ve read online somewhere that the Decathlon ones work well. I’ll see if I can where I read that.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I’m still on the original, but I’ve read online somewhere that the Decathlon ones work well. I’ll see if I can where I read that.

Cheers; no great rush as mine still have plenty of meat on them, but I like to get spares pegged so that I can keep an eye out for bargains for stock. Irritated that I missed the CRC thing as they were £2 for two pairs IIRC... not the end of the world I guess :smile:

simongt

Guru
On the recommendation of my LBS, I installed a set of BBB / BBS-02 brake blocks on my Brommy last year. As I alluded to in a recent previous post, they're the one with replaceable pads which are held in place by a wee hex bolt. :okay:
They're good brakes and replacing the pads is a doddle as I did it a few days ago and you don't have to mess about realigning the whole shoe. ^_^

Tenkaykev

Guru
On the recommendation of my LBS, I installed a set of BBB / BBS-02 brake blocks on my Brommy last year. As I alluded to in a recent previous post, they're the one with replaceable pads which are held in place by a wee hex bolt. :okay:
They're good brakes and replacing the pads is a doddle as I did it a few days ago and you don't have to mess about realigning the whole shoe. ^_^

I fitted some Swisstop dual coloured Red / Black ones when I blinged up my C3 for the BWC a few years ago. You couldn't see them obviously, but the fact they were red definitely made my bike stop faster 😉

Kell

Veteran
I've been using Swissstop since the first set of originals wore out on mine.

Off hand, I cant remember which colour, but I think it's the blue.

ETA:
Just checked on the official website. It is the blue and now I'm more confused than I was before I looked. The last sets I bought, it didn't feel like you had a choice - it was just BXP.

Now there's Flash, Flash Pro and race versions.

The ones I bought slotted straight in to the Brompton holders.

Much better stopping power than the OEM Brompton ones and seem to last a lot longer too.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all!

The Decathlon ones are a fiver a pair; so the same price as (reputed) Shimano Dura Ace on ebay at £10 / 2pr. The Swisstop ones are considerably more at north of £20 for 2pr (I think!).. although I'm not averse to spending more if they're genuinely better..

Now there's Flash, Flash Pro and race versions.
Looking at their website, the BXP are the "performance" variant for alloy rims, the "Full Flash Pro" are the same as the "Flash Pro" but come with holders rather than just being the bare shoes / inserts. The "Flash Evo" have a different shape and are apparently thinner to accommodate thicker rims. All these fit SRAM / Shimano, while the "RacePro" fits various Campag applications I can't be arsed to list.

The upshot is that if just wanting inserts, the "Flash Pro" are probably the ones for the Brompton. Not impressed by their naming convention tbh..

Top Bottom