Brompton brake problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmun

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Brompton front brake. The calliper is sitting too high to allow sufficient adjustment of one of the break block's height, so one side in particular is almost making contact with the tyre - see photo. The other side is much less of a problem. Any advice or assistance will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3576.JPG
    IMG_3576.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 47

12boy

Guru
Sometimes you need to loosen the nut holding on the brake and adjust the mechanism so both pads touch the rim at the same time. A stock Brompton brake sould have brake arms long enough to miss the tire.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Not sure about Brompton calipers but on normal dual pivot road calipers you can usually adjust this problem by turning the small allen screw in the top surface of the caliper arm, not sure what it's called.

Also, on another subject, your rim looks pretty worn, looks to be a bit concave, might be wise to check it.

Kell

Veteran
There is an adjustment screw on one side of the calipers. It pushes against one of the calipers and helps you align them...

I can't remember which way to turn it off hand, but it should become evident with a bit of trial and error - also, giving them a clean might help them become a bit less 'sticky'.

Mine took a while to get right, but have been pretty good since.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There is an adjustment screw on one side of the calipers. It pushes against one of the calipers and helps you align them...

I can't remember which way to turn it off hand, but it should become evident with a bit of trial and error - also, giving them a clean might help them become a bit less 'sticky'.

Mine took a while to get right, but have been pretty good since.
this is all true, but will that balance adjustment solve the OP's problem? I'm not sure it will, it just levels distance from pads to rim on both sides,but in same arc as putting the brakes on.

more likely..

It looks like the axle isn't fully settled in the drop-out. Loosen the nut on the offending side, pull the wheel over by grasping the rim and the frame together whilst tightening the nut.
although the balance screw might also need some work after this.
. i'd be tempted to loosen both sides off, clean the drop outs in case they are gunked up, and and reseat the wheel.

Kell

Veteran
Possibly not - it depends how off-centre the caliper is. If it's massively over to one side, then it may be pulling up and in...

But more likely the wheel is slightly off-centre.

Or a combination of both.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
To be fair, it's quite hard to be that far out on the wheels as long as the tab washers are seated properly.

Top Bottom