Brompton carrier block queries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some time ago I bought second hand a Brompton C bike which I believe was built around November '96 / January '97. I'm now looking into mounting a bag on it.

Please can you tell me:

Brompton's own carrier blocks are no longer stocked. Are the ebay look-alikes a satisfactory alternative?

How is the block fixed to the bike? I've seen photos which show them on the handlebar stem. Do they make use of the fitting circled in red in the photo?

If so, do I need to remove the two 'plugs' (apologies for the jargon ;) )? If so, how?

I'd welcome any advice and suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Front mount.jpg
    Front mount.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 15
Brompton luggage blocks are in stock in all sorts of places - Brilliant Bikes and Halfords to name two. That aftermarket ones are probably ok, and about half the price but none of them are absolutely expensive.

They do indeed bolt onto the little rib on the head tube and will be supplied with the appropriate machine screws. The holes in your head tube mount will either (a) be empty, (b) be bunged up with dirt and grime or (c) have small grub screws in there to prevent (b)! If it's just muck, pick it out with something suitably pointy. If it's the grub screws they'll have a small allen head (about 2mm I guess - can't remember tbh)

Brompton bags are rather wonderful, so welcome to the wide world of increased practicality for your B :smile:

brommieinkorea

Brompton parts availability is really hit and miss, especially in the USA. The Brompton US website will have something one day and all out the next, and they appear to be phasing out some of the older stuff. I don't know if the stuff sold on Alie and such is any good, heck it may be made on the same line in China. As far as I know, nothing has changed with the luggage block since inception; but the luggage block for the T line only fits the T line.

Brompton luggage blocks are in stock in all sorts of places - Brilliant Bikes and Halfords to name two. That aftermarket ones are probably ok, and about half the price but none of them are absolutely expensive.

They do indeed bolt onto the little rib on the head tube and will be supplied with the appropriate machine screws. The holes in your head tube mount will either (a) be empty, (b) be bunged up with dirt and grime or (c) have small grub screws in there to prevent (b)! If it's just muck, pick it out with something suitably pointy. If it's the grub screws they'll have a small allen head (about 2mm I guess - can't remember tbh)

Brompton bags are rather wonderful, so welcome to the wide world of increased practicality for your B :smile:

Thank you very much for your time in responding in such a complete and helpful post. It's much appreciated.

Top Bottom