1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brompton chain coming offage problem

Discussion in 'Tandem and Other Bikes' started by Yellow Fang, 8 Feb 2008.

1. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I have a problem with my Brompton: the chain tends to come off when I unfold it. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so, how did they solve it?

2. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

I have never had this directly - which model do you have and how many miles has the chain done?

3. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I have an L3. I don't think the chain is all that worn. It was replaced about six months ago and it hasn't done an awful lot of mileage since.

4. stevew

stevew Well-Known Member

Check the chain tensioner's spring tension to see if it moves freely but with a good amount of tension. If it's sticky it may not be following the chain when the bike is folded.

5. rob_mcp

rob_mcp New Member

I borrowed one which did this - but never got to the bottom of it. I suspect that stevew may be right It seemed particularly prone to this if I knocked the pedal back while unfolding it
    My own has never done this

6. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

It hasn't been doing it recently, but I haven't cycled it all that much. I suspect that either the chainwheel or the derailleur wasn't screwed in very tightly.