[Brompton] Cheaper alternative to Off Yer Bike handle+strap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Winfried

Thanks. Not sure I got it ("flip it upside down and rest the main tube on top of one shoulder with a pad attached to main tube"), but the problem I needed to solve is how to carry a folded Brompton some hundred meters/yards.

At 12-14kg, it can be hard, even without any physical deficiency. Hence my looking at the available solutions.

I have a two-week trip planned somewhere else in Europe next month, and I'll probably get to experiment :-)

reppans

Thanks. Not sure I got it ("flip it upside down and rest the main tube on top of one shoulder with a pad attached to main tube"), but the problem I needed to solve is how to carry a folded Brompton some hundred meters/yards.

At 12-14kg, it can be hard, even without any physical deficiency. Hence my looking at the available solutions.

I have a two-week trip planned somewhere else in Europe next month, and I'll probably get to experiment :-)

Yeah... I carry folded, and mine's over 15kg with all the crap I load on/in the bike, and I'm not big guy at ~1.73m/70kg. I carry between 100 and 400m to stealth camping spots.... no way I could do that with the bike hanging low at my side carrying it briefcase or shoulder strap style.

Not sure if you are familiar with backpacking physics, but when carrying a heavy weight on smooth terrain, it is easier to align to your CoG if the weight is up high - then you only need to lean a few degrees to counterbalance everything over your natural CoG. The lower the weight is carried, the more you'll need to lean over to counteract that weight (although a lower CoG has advantages over difficult terrain).

Last edited:

robrinay

If you check on eBay you’ll be able to buy woven nylon straps buckles etc. and make a nylon version for a great deal less. On the other hand saddle stitching is easy if tedious - search on YouTube. The tools are cheap - leather needles awl ruler and waxed thread so why not make your own from a piece of leather?

OP
OP
W

Winfried

Look what I just found at the local Decathlon :

big_56eec73887874b61986d6e1daf90b29a.jpg

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bike-carry-strap-black-id_8357598.html

More comfy than a plain rope.

Bill

I have been down this route before! Go to a Poundshop and buy three dog collars. Two of them go around the frame and the other one loops through the other two for the carrying handle....Cost??! Three pounds.....Some fashion mined owners spend over 50 pounds for this item....which I find rather sad....

Top Bottom