Brompton Explore.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have the Brommie "Gravel special edition". Anyone else?

20181111_092704.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have the " Fall off the Brommie on the way back from the Pub" edition.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There are a few Explores on ebay at £2,000 and more.

Look to be from private sellers hoping to turn a profit.

I was therefore surprised earlier today to see an Explore, in the metal, in Evans at the Metro retail park in Gateshead.

It was marked up at retail - £1,500.

I have no idea if the ebay bikes will sell at a premium, but it's tempting to buy the Evans bike and try some Brommie speculation.

Worse way, I could keep the Explore, although the front bag is much bigger than one I would choose.

berlinonaut

Veteran
There are a few Explores on ebay at £2,000 and more.
Look to be from private sellers hoping to turn a profit.
I was therefore surprised earlier today to see an Explore, in the metal, in Evans at the Metro retail park in Gateshead.
It was marked up at retail - £1,500.
I have no idea if the ebay bikes will sell at a premium, but it's tempting to buy the Evans bike and try some Brommie speculation.
Worse way, I could keep the Explore, although the front bag is much bigger than one I would choose.
It's been a trend, especially in the uk, that has been developing over the last couple of years. Typically a bunch of Brompton special edition prices are listed at ebay.uk for hilarious prices - just that they do not seem to sell, as they are typically listed for ages. It started with rare occasions of used Jubilee and Barcelona Editions a while ago and got a sudden boost to totally ridiculous pricing with one seller offering a yellow Sally Friends edition bike. This seems to have inspired some people. A lot of nine-streets Edition bikes along with severals other edition bikes from last year or the year before last year are offered at speculative prices. Brooks edition, Cambrige Satchel Edition, New York Edition and Barbour Edition for example. With the Explore this trend seems to have reached an all-time high. :laugh: I do not think that these bikes will sell at these prices.
Same seems to go for MK1-bikes other than in perfect shape and early MK2 bikes. There are always some on ebay.uk for very steep buy now prices and they are typically listet for months and months, then disappear and reappear some time later. Obviously w/o being sold as being totally overpriced.

rj.hr6

Why can't/won't Brompton make a 20 or 24 inch proper 'touring' edition, to soak up the bumps, with at least a disk brake on the front,[as per Kinetic in Glasgow], so that your loaded bike will stop on the downhill without overheating the rims and blowing the tyres. They go fast enough downhill unloaded, so I dread to think what it feels like trying to slow down on a heavy one. From the luggage point of view Brompton do a good job front and rear, just a pity about the rest of the bike, from a 'touring' point of view.
Airnimal on the other hand have got the size right with their larger wheels, and discs, but the luggage situation is not so tidy, possible yes, but a bit of a fag and somewhat pricey, plus it's not quite so compact, obviously, but you can't have everything.
Presumably touring on a folding bike has to be a compromise, or at least on one made in the UK.
Bike Friday on the other hand.......but maybe that's just because America is just so much bigger than anywhere else that every trip becomes a tour.
If anyone out there has a Brompton with a disc brake on the front it would be interesting to hear what you think; greatly improved, not a lot of difference, a confidence booster, worth the money, whatever, and any other thoughts.
If Brompton do make something better it'll no doubt be too expensive to be able to afford it, or, by that time, I'll be too old to get on it anyhow.
I'll just stick to flat ground, and to pot with the hills and lumpy stuff........

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
It's been a trend, especially in the uk, that has been developing over the last couple of years. Typically a bunch of Brompton special edition prices are listed at ebay.uk for hilarious prices - just that they do not seem to sell, as they are typically listed for ages. It started with rare occasions of used Jubilee and Barcelona Editions a while ago and got a sudden boost to totally ridiculous pricing with one seller offering a yellow Sally Friends edition bike. This seems to have inspired some people. A lot of nine-streets Edition bikes along with severals other edition bikes from last year or the year before last year are offered at speculative prices. Brooks edition, Cambrige Satchel Edition, New York Edition and Barbour Edition for example. With the Explore this trend seems to have reached an all-time high. :laugh: I do not think that these bikes will sell at these prices.
Same seems to go for MK1-bikes other than in perfect shape and early MK2 bikes. There are always some on ebay.uk for very steep buy now prices and they are typically listet for months and months, then disappear and reappear some time later. Obviously w/o being sold as being totally overpriced.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ones on eBay are not cheeky dealers chancing their arms and pretending they're private sellers.

Why can't/won't Brompton make a 20 or 24 inch proper 'touring' edition,

well if it ended up at 24 it wouldn't be a brompton would it?

The strength of the brompton is that thy don't muck around with it much.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I thought that might be the case, although I wonder what the point is of advertising something at a price that will not be met.

The Explore has the lowered gearing which I would like, but my dream spec Brompton is £250 cheaper.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Why can't/won't Brompton make a 20 or 24 inch proper 'touring' edition, to soak up the bumps, with at least a disk brake on the front,[as per Kinetic in Glasgow], so that your loaded bike will stop on the downhill without overheating the rims and blowing the tyres. They go fast enough downhill unloaded, so I dread to think what it feels like trying to slow down on a heavy one. From the luggage point of view Brompton do a good job front and rear, just a pity about the rest of the bike, from a 'touring' point of view.
Airnimal on the other hand have got the size right with their larger wheels, and discs, but the luggage situation is not so tidy, possible yes, but a bit of a fag and somewhat pricey, plus it's not quite so compact, obviously, but you can't have everything.
Presumably touring on a folding bike has to be a compromise, or at least on one made in the UK.
Bike Friday on the other hand.......but maybe that's just because America is just so much bigger than anywhere else that every trip becomes a tour.
If anyone out there has a Brompton with a disc brake on the front it would be interesting to hear what you think; greatly improved, not a lot of difference, a confidence booster, worth the money, whatever, and any other thoughts.
If Brompton do make something better it'll no doubt be too expensive to be able to afford it, or, by that time, I'll be too old to get on it anyhow.
I'll just stick to flat ground, and to pot with the hills and lumpy stuff........

There's a Dutch guy who has a conversion front fork and rear triangle set that takes 18" knobbly tyres and has disc brakes, also with a regular rear derailleur and 11 speed cassette set up. Looks interesting but can't see any indication of cost, probably have to email him.
https://snapwidget.com/v/in/2125805241252726540_1663953922/?src=dg6b5Qeg

https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/index.html

Fold is not affected too much https://snapwidget.com/v/in/2145870557361597071_1663953922/?src=dg6b5Qeg

rj.hr6

Thanks for those links; it's an interesting upgrade, although the derailleur looks a tad too close to the deck!!!

Thanks for those links; it's an interesting upgrade, although the derailleur looks a tad too close to the deck!!!
Yes, that's an issue with some Dahons - you pick up lots of road crud.
Must say I find brompton tinkering/extreme modifications rather mad - suppose it keeps folks off the dark winter streets/safely out of the way in the garage.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Tiny market compared to the 50k bikes a year they already sell and struggle to produce without a couple of months waiting period. That would jack up the price a lot. Van Eerde make a big wheel conversion if you must, but I'll stick to my Vostok wide hubs, as has been pointed out, it keeps me out of trouble...

Brads

Was browsing for one of these and it seems the only new ones available are being sold by utter clowns wanting 3k for them ! lol

3 feking grand, for a paint job.

Top Bottom