Brompton gear upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As an update - I've just pushed the button on a Kinetics SA8 conversion kit. Yes, the one that @Flying Dodo struggled with and the one that @GrumpyGregry got to work. I'll keep this thread posted on how I get on.

It's not entirely coincidence that as I was riding along this evening my 3-speed gear cable snapped. Fortunately the rides I have to do tomorrow and Sunday are flat and reasonably short, so pushing the top gear along won't kill me. Unfortunately it does mean that my plan to do a bit of a tour ride on Sunday will have to be postponed.

It is entirely coincidence that I discovered today that the pockets on a Brompton touring pannier are absolutely perfect for carrying a couple of 500ml bottles of beer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Made to work, and using daily in cph.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@srw Best of luck, I'd be interested to hear how the SA 8 performs.

I'm happy with the 3 on my Brommy but very disappointed with 5 SP I have fitted to my Birdy. Thebhad a poorer rap than the 3 or 8 but still many positive reviews, so I took the plunge: I hope it improves as it gets well bedded in because right now its not brilliant, it seems to be very much more clunky between gears, less robust and very needy of constant attention to keep running not just just right but reliably at all and with accurate shifting.

It's a very nice range on the 8 speed. I run it with a 40 tooth chainring at the front and 20 cog at the back. I only struggled a bit installing the unit, as the instructions were so bad, as the diagrams weren't very good and it took a while to work out what was actually required. However, swapping it over to the Bickerton was fine, as I did that without looking at the notes.

OP
OP
srw

srw

IMG_20160513_084558300.jpg

Look what has appeared on my desk!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
View attachment 128193

Look what has appeared on my desk!
You are allowed deliveries at work?

OP
OP
srw

srw

Not when I delivered him something they didn't. The receptionist was most reluctant to accept it.
That was the other office, which we don't control. Although in theory we're allowed deliveries there too.

Top Bottom