brompton handlebar brace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roundthebendbromcycle

I've had my brompton for 11 years, a few years after I bought it brompton sent me a plastic bar to brace the handlebars, I think they had a problem with the early ones, has anyone had problems with their handlebars, I would like to remove the thing as its more than a bit naff, I know I should choose safety first but I guess i live to ride and ride to live

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The previous design had a fault in that the aluminium was prone to suddenly breaking at the bend. The gizmo was a safety device to reduce the risk of that happening.

At some stage those handlebars are likely to fail, so I'd leave it on if I were you - or else update the handlebars to the newer style.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It stiffens the M bar very nicely – it's definitely a worthwhile modification just for the improved feel.

OP
OP
R

roundthebendbromcycle

Mrs R had one on her Brompton - as I recall it was to stop the flex of the old style handlebars. She tried it for a couple of months and then felt it didn't make much difference so took it off. She is not a particularly 'aggressive' rider and didnt really flex the bars much any way, so I don't think the modification was really designed for her.
I'm the same really, do most of the work with my legs, although I tend to pull a bit on the hills as my gears need replacing when I have the dosh ..down from 12 to 1 (6 speed + mountain drive)
thanks

Top Bottom