Brompton how light can it go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jackthelad

. It has to be said Bromptons are heavy to lug about, especially from one station platform to another.[/quote]

Yellow this is what I am getting at.If you where to tour using the brompton combining trains buses etc then the weight would become an issue.I lately picked one up and did not think it was that light to carry any distance.

. It has to be said Bromptons are heavy to lug about, especially from one station platform to another

Yellow this is what I am getting at.If you where to tour using the brompton combining trains buses etc then the weight would become an issue.I lately picked one up and did not think it was that light to carry any distance.

You don't need to carry it any distance. For shorter distances just pull the handlebars up (no need to clamp them) and pull it along on the rollers. For longer distances its so quick to unfold and fold you just do that at each end. The only place you need to carry it is up and down steps.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
isn't this a perception problem? You would think that a thing that folds so small wouldn't weigh much - but it's always going to be a heavier item than a 'normal' bike, and, yes, some of the components are out of date.

Brompton's success is founded on image and reliability. It's got a free pass on detailed design, which, although improving, is still poor - who, these days, thinks that one should have to use a spanner, or two spanners to tighten something? Some of the third party kit is naff - I spent £70 on a rear rack bag that doesn't secure properly.

I can carry mine without to much difficulty, but AH can't carry hers more than a few yards. Forget pulling it along on those little wheels on city footpaths, it just falls over. If they could shave 750g of that would make a heck of a difference to the portability.

isn't this a perception problem? You would think that a thing that folds so small wouldn't weigh much - but it's always going to be a heavier item than a 'normal' bike, and, yes, some of the components are out of date.

Brompton's success is founded on image and reliability. It's got a free pass on detailed design, which, although improving, is still poor - who, these days, thinks that one should have to use a spanner, or two spanners to tighten something? Some of the third party kit is naff - I spent £70 on a rear rack bag that doesn't secure properly.

I can carry mine without to much difficulty, but AH can't carry hers more than a few yards. Forget pulling it along on those little wheels on city footpaths, it just falls over. If they could shave 750g of that would make a heck of a difference to the portability.

I'm trying to think which bit requires two spanners to tighten it. As for one spanner then most city bikes have things like the wheels held on by nuts, not QRs for anti-theft security. Now in principle you should take the Brommie inside with you (I always do) but some of them get locked up out on the street.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
You could probably shave a bit off by incremental gains but I doubt it'd make much difference.

The only place I carry mine folded is from office door to desk. The fold/unfold is so quick and the bike so easily guided with just a hand on the saddle that even changing trains I'd unfold for anything more than a cross platform change. Going up and down station stairs is easier unfolded with saddle nose resting on right shoulder then struggling with folded bike in one hand and pannier in other. Also easier to navigate platform barriers pushing with one hand still free to reach for and show ticket.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Hi guys thanks for all the replies highly appreciated.I would love to do lands end to John O groats using a brompton and buses trains and ferrys , this is why I am asking how light.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Grab yourself a NeoBike which is made in the far east using Brompton tooling, but its made from a lighter alloy.
Change the cranks to carbon Campagnolo crank which is lighter,
get hand-built 16 spoke Velocity Aeroheat wheels to reduce wheel weight,
Titanium seatpost, bars and bolts
Phil Wood transmission can reduce the weight,
as can removing one of the brakes.
This will result is a Brompton with a weight of around 8kg

Grab yourself a NeoBike which is made in the far east using Brompton tooling, but its made from a lighter alloy.
Change the cranks to carbon Campagnolo crank which is lighter,
get hand-built 16 spoke Velocity Aeroheat wheels to reduce wheel weight,
Titanium seatpost, bars and bolts
Phil Wood transmission can reduce the weight,
as can removing one of the brakes.
This will result is a Brompton with a weight of around 8kg

Pretty sure the NeoBike/Merc frames weigh more than the standard Brompton frame despite being alloy.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Pretty sure the NeoBike/Merc frames weigh more than the standard Brompton frame despite being alloy.

I believe that this is the case for some of the frames, but not all of them although I can't clarify this myself, so you may be right.
I run a Dahon folder with loads of holes drilled in it ( this definitely saves weight.. lol )

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
+1 for just unfolding and wheeling it. It takes 17 seconds tops to unfold it, so mine gets unfolded and wheeled any distance more than a handful of steps.

Crankarm

Guru
Although aesthetically the Brompton is a wonderful thing, it is just so massively over-engineered in places. The main tube just doesn't need to be as big and bulky as it is.

According to Brompton it does for strength and durability. I emailed them a couple of years ago about producing a full ti frame and this was the explanation I got.

Top Bottom