Brompton in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
The bike is holding up remarkably well, although I do sometimes wonder whether the smaller wheels (and lower centre of gravity) result in me getting more wet than if I used a full-sized bike.

Are there any other Bromptonites that / intend to use their foldable steeds throughout the Winter?

Crankarm

Guru
Yep ;).

Got well wet on it this evening going to the supermarket. Well my MT500s, Altura waterproof leggings and cape did, not my under clothes - jeans or Karrimore jacket or shoes. I felt only one yellow touring pannier rain cover would not be sufficient to keep the bag dry so bought an extra one so use two, doubled up, which I have to say does keep it dry, even in the heavy down pours of this evening.

Keith Oates

Janner
chap said:
The bike is holding up remarkably well, although I do sometimes wonder whether the smaller wheels (and lower centre of gravity) result in me getting more wet than if I used a full-sized bike.

Are there any other Bromptonites that / intend to use their foldable steeds throughout the Winter?

If it is really raining hard I doubt there is much difference in the degree of wetness you get with either type of bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Crankarm said:
Yep ;).

Got well wet on it this evening going to the supermarket. Well my MT500s, Altura waterproof leggings and cape did, not my under clothes - jeans or Karrimore jacket or shoes. I felt only one yellow touring pannier rain cover would not be sufficient to keep the bag dry so bought an extra one so use two, doubled up, which I have to say does keep it dry, even in the heavy down pours of this evening.

i think my £5 cape from lidl is a far far better piece of kit than £100 endura jacket and the £100 endura pants. it keeps me drier and the right temp.

as for using my brompton thru the winter...hell yeah. why not? why does it seem like bromptons attract some funny questions? it is a proper bike you know

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I bought my Brompton *for* the winter.

It's for the days I don't want a 30 mile round trip in rain & cold, allowing me to get the train most of the way to work, and nicely resolving what transport theorists call the "last mile" (or in my case, last 3 miles) problem.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Like shaun said.

It's a bike, most days I'll ride it. Cold will not deter but snow or torrential rain might drive me onto the tube.

Same rules as the tourer.

JohnCKirk

Veteran
I'll be riding my Brompton all through the winter, although I won't be lengthening my route (replacing train with bike) until the weather warms up.

OP
OP
chap

chap

Veteran
shauncollier said:
i think my £5 cape from lidl is a far far better piece of kit than £100 endura jacket and the £100 endura pants. it keeps me drier and the right temp.

as for using my brompton thru the winter...hell yeah. why not? why does it seem like bromptons attract some funny questions? it is a proper bike you know

Oh don't worry, you're preaching to the choir here and I'm a convert. The issue is that the Brompton is now my main bike (I have fuly replaced my other models), and will not shorten the route (15 mile round-trip). Hence the question.

I'm just wondering if many others are deterred as I have noticed it seems to have been more affected by the rain (in that I get wet), plus I think there is more feeling of cycling through water (bear in mind I am often cycling through 1/2 - 1 inch of rain when it pours here), despite the fact I still go faster than on the other models.

I got a £5 cape from Lidl. It's a child's but should fit me as I'm only 5'2". I was brought up with capes but find them a little intimidating nowadays so perhaps a child's would just cover without all that wrapping around the handlebars that I remember so well!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Newbie to Bromptons in wet weather, but the problem I'm finding is that because the chain/derailleur is that much closer to the ground, I'm having to do a full deep clean/degrease/relube more than once a week at the mo.
Crikey, do those jockey wheels pick up some crap or what?
Still, I'm planning to carry on in whatever conditions, excepting black ice.

My full size bike is holding up much better in the same conditions.

Top Bottom